A Lady and Her Warrior

Prologue

1 Week ago

We were running.

We could hear the sounds of the people behind us, or I guess as I should say vampires that were behind us.

As we were running my black hair brushes just past my waist, and we effortlessly leap over logs and rocks in our desperate attempt in escaping our pursuers. 

The vampires behind us were now shouting, loudly, "DAWN KENNA KNIGHT, WE DEMAND THE RETURN OF LADY ISABEL THIS INSTANT!!!"

I looked behind us and screamed with all my might back, "I WOULD RATHER DIE THAN WILLINGLY GIVE HER OVER TO YOU, YOU BASTARDS!!”

Isabel, the person the vampires were after, was in front of me running in her little five year old body, her long blond curls swaying from side to side as she ran.

I shook my head; even though I was seventeen years old and she was five years old she was STILL a higher priority. How was that!?

I just sighed at the question, I knew the answer to the question, and I had for five years now. I was a Halfling (half vampire, half human, basically a hybrid and one of the lowest ranks of vampire) and Isabel was a pureblood (the highest rank of vampire), like her parents (although we share a father). And even though we shared blood (we were sisters) we were from different worlds, and she was from one I could never be part of.

I shook my head again, I didn’t have time for self-pity, I had to get these vampires off our trail, or otherwise our last year of running would mean nothing! And I, as her warrior, would not let those vampires take her away from me!

As we jumped over another log I looked behind us and noticed that the vampires that were chasing us were losing speed and I knew that for a fact they should be actually gaining on us.

That doesn’t make any sense, why would they slow? They were vampires for crying out loud! The only reason I can think of for them to be slowing down was if they had set a... a trap!

As the thought occurred to me the scent of many vampires blew from the direction in front of us and my thoughts were confirmed, we were set up!

Isabel and I came to a stop, we looked around.

My eyes widened, were completely surrounded!

Vampires were around us everywhere we looked, they were in every direction, and as I looked up I saw they were even in the trees!

Crap! They’re everywhere! I screamed in my head franticly.

 My eyes scanned the as I looked around for a place that there weren’t vampires to keep Isabel and found that there was only a small patch, there were trees I could put Isabel behind but the problem was that it was a dead end, it was surrounded by high rocks too far to climb up.

I ignored that though and ran over there quickly, Isabel closely behind.

As soon as we get there I grabbed Isabel’s tiny little hand and pulled her behind me, to protect her even though (in their eyes) I was the threat to her here.

A man stepped forward, and by the looks of him, he was in charge.

He had black, emotionless eyes and strait dark hair that went just past his ears. He was dressed in all black and had a mask on that covered half his face to hide his identity (not that it mattered 'cause I could tell who he was by his scent) and he spoke in a deep, emotionless voice, “Dawn Kenna Knight, you are charged with the crime of kidnapping the pureblood, Lady Isabel Summers. You have been summoned by the high counsel to attend a trial against this crime. If you do not cooperate with us, then a harsher punishment will be dealt, so just hand Lady Isabel over to me and no one will be hurt,” And all the while his voice never wavered, never showed weakness, and, most of all, never lied.