1/1

Jack stands in front of the old blue house and sighs, clutching his suitcase so tightly that his knuckles are rapidly turning white. The scene before his eyes is picturesque, with a crimson sun setting behind the dark blue waves crashing against white sand. His feet are planted firmly on bright green grass and yellow daisies dance in the wind. He should have been happy and relaxed; however, he was anything but. Beyond the white, painted door and shutters was a house full of memories, both good and bad, but ones that he wanted more than anything to forget. He didn't know why he'd agreed to come in the first place.

      "Look Jack, it's been five years. We haven't rented it out in a really long time, we might as well just sell it and split the profits. I think it would be best."

    Jack had agreed, even if it meant selling all of the memories he'd shared in that house with his ex-husband, Alex. They'd divorced five years ago. It had been ugly, but once the process began, it was over in a blink. Sometimes Jack wonders where they'd be now if they hadn't had gone through with the divorce. Then he remembers that it had to be done and everything returns to normal.

    His feet trudge his body forward and he takes a deep breath, preparing himself. He hasn't seen Alex in a very long time and he doesn't know what to expect. Had his ex-husband changed physically? Internally? Are there still hard feelings from Alex's side? Biting his lip, he presses his knuckles against the white wood and knocks.

    There is a muffled shuffle from the other side of the door and Jack can also hear PVRIS's cover of "Chandelier." He smiles to himself. Alex had always been a major fan of that band and Jack is pleased to see that that fact had not changed.

    When the door finally opens, Jack's pounding heartbeat slows to almost a complete stop. Right before his eyes is his ex-husband, whom he has not seen in years. He has not changed much. His hair is still a medium brown and cut into punk-ish layers. His eyes are still that deep, deep brown. But there are deep lines underneath them and they are red-rimmed. He has a small smile on his face and there are wrinkles around his mouth. Alex is tired, that much Jack can tell. Alex is wearing a red and black checked flannel shirt. The long sleeves are pulled up and it's unbuttoned, revealing a white t-shirt. His jeans are skinny, impossibly tight, and jet black. On his feet are black vans with no laces. When they were married, this was Jack's favorite outfit that Alex wore. It still is, he decides quickly.

    "Hi Jack," Alex says shyly, opening the door more widely. He leans against it and he stares hard at his ex-husband.

    Jack clears his throat before looking around. "Hey...," he whispers, eyes darting around. "H-how are you?"

    Alex smiles softly. "I'm doing okay. How are you?"

    Jack is thrown off by Alex's okay. He had expected him to be great, or to at least lie about it. No such luck there. "I'm...Well, I'm good," he finally stutters.

    "That's good. Why don't you come in?" Alex asks, the small smile still faint on his features.

    Jack nods. "R-right. Yeah, that makes sense." He tightens his grip on his suitcase and follows Alex into the house.

    Everything is just as he remembers it. The living room is homey, with light turquoise and white furniture and dark brown hardwood flooring. It's decorated a bit obnoxiously, with shells and other beach paraphernalia. But that's Alex. He loves the beach and he'd always dreamed of having a true beach house and so that's what he'd gotten. Jack had always spoiled Alex in that way.

    "I put my stuff in the guest room," Alex says quietly, "so you can have the master. If that's okay?"

    Jack nods. It's nice of Alex to give him the master, especially considering it has an adjoining bathroom. However, it's also the room that Jack and Alex had shared every time they'd stayed in the house. "Thanks," he replies, taking his suitcase and heading into the master bedroom. It's about the same, too. The bed is still a California king and it still has a huge, dark wooden bed frame. The rest of the furniture matches it and the carpet is white and plush. Once upon a time, the walls had been adorned with photos of himself and Alex, but those had long since disappeared. In a weird way, Jack missed the pictures.