BookThug Literary Publishers

Book Thug is an independent publishing company based on Toronto, Ontario. BookThug focuses on publishing books of fictions, poetry and non-fiction. More specifically, they publish contemporary literary fiction, non-fiction, poetry and drama. It is noted that they do not publish genre fiction (mystery, science fiction, historical romance), cookbooks, or self-help books.

Purpose of BookThug Publishers: BookThug is committed to an ongoing conversation about the possibilities of what literature is, or could be.

Submission Information:

BookThug welcomes submissions that will help make this conversation as rich as possible. They especially encourage Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers from the LGBTQ community, writers with disabilities, and women to submit their work for consideration- as they are looking to diversify their work and represent all different kinds of people through their company.

The publishing company does accept manuscripts, only via post-mail. Unless specified, they will not accept email or faxed manuscripts.
BookThug has a particular procedure to send manuscripts as listed in their website. In order, to successfully send a manuscript, the following steps must be completed:

•Ensure that name, address, phone number and email are on the manuscript; do not send discs of any kind.
•Include an introductory letter that describes your work and in which you compare your work to two BookThug titles.
•Ensure that manuscript is typed, double-spaced with single-sided pages. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry manuscripts.
•Include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
•Make sure to inform if it is a multiple submission. If manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from BookThug, please ensure that you contact them to inform them of this immediately so that the proposal can be removed from the pile.
If interested, send all poetry, non-fiction and drama manuscripts to the following address:

BookThug
ATT: Jay Millar, Publisher
260 Ryding Avenue
Toronto Ontario
Canada M6N 1H5

Fiction editor, Malcolm Sutton, once stated during an interview what he looks for in a submission and potential published work: "In my first reads of the manuscript I look for larger things. I look for places where momentum drops off in the narrative and try to understand why it falters. I try to determine the themes and understand how they transform from beginning to end, whether they are fully realized."

If interested in publishing fiction work, send manuscripts to the following address:
BookThug
Department of Narrative Studies
Malcolm Sutton, Fiction Editor
466 Clinton Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M6G 2Z4

BookThug publishes nearly 18-20 books a year, 9-10 a season in a variety of genres. They also publish and sell eBooks on their website bookthug.ca!

Some books published by BookThug:

Some published authors at BookThug are:

Jacob Wren
"Rich and Poor"
Novel

Joni Murphy
"Double Teenage"
Novel

Wanda Praamsma
"a thin line between"
Poetry

Aisha Shasha John
"THOU"
Poetry

Phil Hall
"Killdeer"
Fiction

Julie Joosten
"Light Light"
Poetry

Malcolm Sutton
"Job Shadowing"
Novel