The Inn

I have been careless, how can I let something like that get to me? She thought as she made her way through the crowd. She was making her way to an inn that was now only a few buildings away. The sign above read “Samuel’s Sunshine Inn” in such large letters and bright colours that it could be seen all the way from the main street, where she had been shopping not long ago. It was mostly to pass time so she only bought the essentials, including dried food and fruit, a new water pouch that she could tie to her belt along with her daggers and sword; she also bought a thin blanket in case she needed it for travel. She had placed the food, the blanket, and a few other processions in a sac, which she now slung over her shoulder.

She managed to make her way through the crowd and into the inn, as soon as she stepped inside she knew that she had made the wrong decision.

“Ah!? How can it cost so much for such a small room?” Explained James; the young boy who had begged to be her partner the night before. “I wouldn’t have eight Quinz even if I worked here for a month!”

The figure now sighed quietly and turned to leave, she would much rather find another inn than be together with him. She reached for the door knob, but stopped in her tracks when she heard what the owner of the inn’s said next.

“Heh, well then, I think you better start working, how about you work in the stables? A year should be enough right?” he sneered, as if he was just suppressing his laughter, James was taken aback.

“A...a year!? That’s a very long time sir!” he stuttered, his eyes wide in disbelief. Just then, a shadow fell over him. He turned to see the cloaked figure standing behind him.

“Ah, you’re-” he faltered.

“A room for two” she interrupted, her voice was quiet, yet menacing. She dropped five Quinz onto the counter top then glared harassingly at the owner when he tried to protest, her cold, merciless, eyes sending shivers down his spine. He managed a stiff nod then placed a key on the countertop; its red tag read ‘No.5’ in gold letters as bright as the sign outside.

“W...would you like me to show you the way?” He squeaked, looking down to avoid eye contact. As if to answer his question, she turned towards the stair well, and when he looked up, he saw that the key had disappeared, although he haden't seen her take it. After taking several long strides, she halted abruptly, and without turning her head she spoke.

“Aren’t you coming?”

 James slowly realized that she was talking to him; his eyes grew wide, is this why she ordered a room for two? He, however, did not have much time to ponder on this thought as she started walking again and he ran to catch up.

____________________________________

 A little short, I know, but vote if you enjoyed!