Meeting An Old Friend

Liesel Auttenberg was at her family home saying goodbye. She didn't know for how long, but both them and her knew what she was leaving for. She was leaving to join her old friend Manfred von Richthofen in the air fighting for the German Empire. It seemed like forever to her since she had seen him last. "I will miss you truly and dearly.", she said to her family.

"We will miss you as well,"her mother said.

"Make us proud,"her father said.

"I will as well as the German Empire."

At that moment Liesel opened the door and left the comfort of home. She got in the car that would take her to the air base where she would fight for her country.

Many thoughts filled her head as the car drove on for what seemed like forever. Manfred had chosen her to be a part of his fleet or at least recommended her. She had flown for his commanders and they agreed to let her join him. Manfred and Liesel were lifelong friends. Liesel had also been very fond of him and wanted to be more than just friends. Especially now. Every second was like an eternity to her now.

--------

Finally Liesel could see the fighter planes in the fields ready to be flown into the air. The car stopped in the middle of a group of buildings. Standing outside was none other than Manfred prepared to meet his friend. Liesel opened the door as quickly as she could grabbing her gear. She ran to him, dropped her gear, and pulled him into a tight hug. He hugged back as well. "I've missed you more than you can imagine Manfred."

"And I you Liesel. I'm glad to see you again. And I should tell you that Lothar is visiting the base."

Liesel pulled out of the hug to be greeted by a pair of gloved hands covering her eyes. She turned around and was welcomed by the face of Manfred's brother Lother von Richthofen. "Hello Lother.", she said.

"Hello Liesel," he said hugging her. She hugged him back. After they broke apart the trio went to where Liesel would be staying with Manfred. 

--------

As they were walking some of the other pilots stared at her wondering why a girl was on the base. Some even dog whistled. Manfred and Liesel simply rolled their eyes at the immaturity of the pilots. Lother said he would see them later and walked off to the car that would take him back home.

---------

Liesel observed the wall that Manfred had covered with 'souvenirs' from his successes. She sat on her newly made bed and held her pilot hat and goggles. "You are a very successful fighter pilot. I'm sure the Kaiser with be proud."

"Yes. But I haven't been noticed quite yet.", he smiled.

"Well I'm sure some time soon there will be a letter from the Kaiser saying he wants to see the great Manfred von Richthofen. The best fighter of his age and his brave female second in command."

At this Manfred came over and sat next to Liesel on her bed and started play wrestling with her. He grabbed her head under his arm and gave messed her hair up with his knuckles. "Hey!" Liesel said laughing uncontrollably. They were both a laughing mess by the time Manfred let go. "Let's go for a walk. Maybe show the men what you are made of.", Manfred said.

"Sounds great. Let's go!"

They walked out of the building that they shared and started walking. Liesel still holding her flight gear.