Walk the Dog or Lost in Koblenz

KOBLENZ, GERMANY

AROUND NOON, OR, MORE LIKELY, AFTER

A FREEZING DECEMBER DAY

JUST A FEW DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS

**********

Right. This I rather didn't enjoy at all. I was in Germany for the holidays, and was going to spend Christmas with a friend who lived in Koblenz, which I really looked forward to, so that wasn't what I didn't enjoy. I was going to meet Petra at the Liebfrauen church, or Kirche, as they say in Germany, but I had a small problem. I was lost. Completely. And that was what I didn't enjoy. It wasn't unpleasant because of the cold temperature - I believe it was -8ºC - and the fact that it was outside, because I was dressed a warm winter coat, and both mittens and a scarf. Well, it wasn't actually a coat, it was more of a cloak, to be honest, but it doesn't really matter. No, what I objected to was the fact that I was lost in a strange city in a country where the native language was one I didn't master. I guess I could ask someone to point me in the right direction, but how do you do that? "Excuse me, where can I find…" and get the reply "ich verstehe nicht"? I had this silly old pocket glossary that would help me to ask for the direction, but I wouldn't be able to understand the answer. This was driving me mad! I leaned on a lamp pole and sighed. Then I remembered something my mother once told me when we were at a big market. If I got lost, then ask a man or woman that looked nice if they could show me the way to the "market office", where missing persons were gathered. I smiled, and decided to listen to my mother's advice. I just had to find someone that looked nice and friendly, but where do I find one of those in a street where I'm the only person in sight? Fortunately, someone was approaching me before I had made up my mind. A man with a little dog. The man looked nice and friendly, and the dog was really cute, so I decided to ask him. I checked my glossary quickly to see what I should say, and when he got closer, I asked.

 "Könnten Sie mir bitte helfen? Ich weiß nicht, wo ich bin. Sprechen Sie englisch?" I figured asking if he could help me, and stating that I was lost would make him stop and help me.

 It worked. The dark-haired man stopped and looked at me with two lovely dark brown eyes.

 "Ja. Yes, I speak English."

 "Thank goodness! I'm on my way to the Liebfrauenkirche, but I'm lost, and I have no idea of where to go, so if you could be so kind and show me the direction, sir?"

 "Of course, Miss", he said and smiled. "Actually, I'm heading in that direction as well, so I can show you where it is."

 "Thank you", I replied with great relief.

 "I take it you're not from Germany", he said as we started walking again.

 "No, I'm not. I'm from England."

 "What brings you to these parts, then? If you don't mind me asking?"

 "Oh, not at all. I'm just here for the holidays, to spend Christmas with a friend who lives here in Koblenz." I realised something. "Oh, but where are my manners? I'm C.C.", I said and extended a hand.

 "Thomas", he said (surely, you could see this coming?! - Author's remark) and shook my hand. Wise man, he had gloves on. "This is Quchiquichi", he added and indicated the dog.

 "Pardon?" I exclaimed. Did he really call the dog Quchiquichi?!

 "That's Polish, for Christine."

 "Oh, right, I see." I squatted down and patted the dog, which happily put its paws on my knees and licked my face. It was cold and wet, but it made me laugh! I was wiping off my face as I stood back up.