Allies

The next morning, Leo got up, yawning. Another day of torture. What did they have in store today?

Almost as if to answer his thought, the emotionless female voice spoke up again. “Please leave your rooms and meet in the large room down the right hallway.”

Leo slipped his uniform on and pushed open his door. He closed it behind him, and joined the mass of kids heading down the hallway. 

The crowd eventually led him to an enormous room, constructed completely out of concrete, of course, benches and tables lined up through it. Leo gazed at the room curiously. What was it? A cafeteria?

“This room shall be open today for forming alliances, and creating enemies. Any acts of violence outside of the arena are not tolerable, and the punishment shall be severe.” The voice spoke again.

“Allies, huh…” Leo muttered to himself.

He glanced at the people nearest to him. All people he didn’t know, so he thought of the people he knew from his classes. He’d never ally with the sorts of Elizabeth. Alan and Anastasia obviously don't want to fit anyone in between them. Michael… He didn’t know him. And even though Hannah didn’t seem bad, she wasn’t the kind of person you’d want to ally with.

At that moment, Leo regretted not putting much effort into making friends. He’d always sat in the middle of the classroom, quietly working, and getting decent grades. Never had he tried to talk to the people sitting next to him. 

He sighed, and sat down on a bench. Guess I’ll be alone. Leo thought glumly.

Across the room, Michael eyed Elizabeth. Maybe… Maybe one more try wouldn’t hurt. Right? 

He took a deep breath and walked through her crown of admirers, until he faced Elizabeth herself.

“Elizabeth, I thought I’d ask one more time and-“

She rolled her eyes at him. “It’s a no Michael.”

“But-“

“Nu uh. Run on and find some other person to leech off of, kay?”

“Elizabeth-“

“Now what did I say? Get out of my face before I kill you!”

Michael scurried away, moving across the room.

Everyone was in small groups, talking quietly and pointing at the occasional person. Except for one person. What was his name again? Lee? Lucas? Leon?

It doesn’t matter. Michael thought to himself. I need an ally, and right now, he’s my best shot. 

Michael walked up to him, and sat down next to him. “Hey…”

Leo turned to face him. “Let me guess. You want to be allies, right?”