Chapter 7 - baited

I really don't know why I let Jack talk me into this, but I have to admit it's pretty clever. Except for the very real chance of her getting killed and all. Too bad my cat powers don't include mind control. Otherwise, she'd be sitting safely in her house. Preferably with a shotgun draped over her lap.

Grant's house is dark. I wondered aloud if anyone was home, but Jack assured me that the living room and Grant's bedroom were in the back of the house, and that they were always home in the evenings. Except when he's out on a date. With me, for example.

After two hours of waiting and trying not to look like we're casing the house, I grab Jack's arm, ready to haul her home. "I don't think they're com--"

She points. "Here comes a car. Hide!"

It takes everything in me not to drag her into the bushes with me. I'm fast, but not faster than a bullet. But I do as she says and slip behind some of the most neatly trimmed shrubs I've ever seen.

Jack stays in the shadow of a large spruce, out of the car's headlights. As it approaches, I find myself praying that it keeps going, just like the last dozen or so cars that have cruised down this street. But the sound of the engine changes as it slows. The beaten-up blue sedan pulls along the curb in front of Grant's house. Man, they aren't very subtle.

Two guys get out. They're big and look like they haven't had a hug in a very long time. Jack's eyes meet mine. At least she has the sense to look terrified. She slips the black hoodie over her head and tightens the drawstring, covering more of her face. We did a fair make-up job, but up close and in the light, anyone could tell she's not a caucasian girl from way up north, Michigan.

Except it's dark. Not even the porch lights reach the edge of the yard. And in the moonless night, even I have a hard time seeing faces.

When the two men step onto the lawn, Jack strolls out from her hiding place.

"Hey," she says. My bat swings from her right hand.

One of the men stops his partner with a hand to his chest. He curses. "We're looking for a friend."

Jack plays her role well. "It takes two of you?"

The two men step back toward the car. Jack follows until they're pressed against the back fender, eyes full of fear. Do I really scare these great big guys that much?

Swinging the bat higher, Jack remains a few feet away from them. "I think you should keep moving."

"Calm down there, little girl." The first guys seems to regain some courage. "No need to start bustin' heads."

Jack takes another step. I want to scream for her to keep her distance. But she's caught up in the act and stops only a foot from them. "I think it's the perfect time to bust some heads." She lifts the bat like she's starting for the Tigers.

Jack...no. Don't overdo it.

"R-really...we'll just get going." The first guy shrugs. "Must be the wrong house."

Something's wrong. He's way too cooperative. Something moves inside the car. The windows. They're dark-tinted. A metallic pop.

Before I can move, the back door of the car springs open and a third man leaps out. He presses something into Jack's arm and pull a trigger. She starts to scream but it's cut short as her body convulses.

I'm half way to the men I'm about to shred before she hits the ground.