Chapter Four

Amy's POV:

As always the next morning I woke up in my room alone. Everything was just as I left it except for the rose lying on the bedside table. I smile to myself and sit up, reaching out to bring it closer, sniffing it and placing it against my lips I relish the faint scent that belongs to Sebastian as it lingers on the petals. Blushing I get up and put it into the vase with the rest of the roses, every time Sebastian leaves me he leaves a rose for me to wake up to. It's a sweet and romantic gesture that makes my heart flutter.

Glancing at the clock as I head to my bathroom, I nod to myself and get ready for work. Punctuality has never been an issue for me and since becoming a fledgling it doesn't even affect me anymore. I get to work at exactly 07:24 every morning and (even with Becca shuffling around the kitchen half-asleep) today is no different. The café is quiet when I walk in. Caroline is busy putting out the petty cash for the day while I can hear Alex bargaining with the traders for more stock. Midsummer Café on Café Street was a quiet little patch of heaven, until a couple months ago when my attack happened in the alley not too far from here since then our customers have increased, it seems the supernatural world likes gossip and for a long while I was it.

"Good morning Caroline!" I grin, taking off my jacket and pulling on my apron.
"Oh Amy... Hi, I didn't hear you come in!" she laughs looking up from the cash register. Silly human! I shake my head and nod.
"So who's in today?" I ask heading over to clock in.
"We're short staffed today. It's only going to be you, Alex and Nigel on the floor..."
"And this afternoon?" I ask with a frown.
"Cassey and Brenda said they'll work and Alex is working a late..." she says and I nod and then check the clock - it's already opening time.

The day passes like it always does, people are in and out. We have the regular customers asking about our personal lives and the newer ones asking about our shifts. At two in the afternoon I see Caroline becoming frantic and stressed out. Zoning in on her I use my heightened hearing to pick up on what she's telling Nigel.
"Cassey and Brenda can't work the afternoon... can you take a double shift?"
"Ahhh Boss... I have to fetch my brother from baseball practice and my dad's working late so I'm sorry I can't do tonight..." Caroline accepts, but I can see she's upset and I know she won't ask me to work a late because of the last time she did. I take a deep breath and then move over to her side; it's time for me to be brave and get over this whole thing! It's not like it's going to happen again.
"Hey Caroline... can I work the evening shift... I could use the overtime..." I hint offering myself as a solution to her problem.
"Oh Amy, are you sure?"
"Yes of course... My sister's at home so my mum isn't going to be alone when she gets back from the hospital, so that's alright!" I grin and put my hands into my apron pockets to hide how they're shaking. She smiles genuinely, but is careful not to act too enthusiastic.
"That's terrific!" since her waiters for the evening shift are sorted she returns to man the register.

As I work I force myself to focus on the customers and not on what happened the last time I worked late. When the café closes at seven, Alex and I are dead on our feet.
"Thank gawd we have tomorrow off!" he yawns as we close the café door behind us.
"Yeah.... I feel like I could sleep for eternity right now and my poor feet are killing me!" I complain. Alex laughs loudly at me, shaking his head as he does.
"Maybe try not wearing such flat shoes for work!" he teases with a grin.
"Shut up! How was I supposed to know I'd be working all day and besides... I hate wearing high heels to work!"
Alex shakes his head and laughs boisterously again. I grin and roll my eyes.
"Shhh!! You big doofus! You'll wake the neighbourhood!"
"Oh oops! Yeah... sorry!!" he whisper shouts and that makes me laugh.

We part ways at the end of the street - which is about four roads away from home so I go the rest of the way alone. It's not long before my heightened senses pick up that someone is following me. Not wanting to lead them home and not wanting to repeat the past I start heading to Sebastian's mansion, only I never make it that far.
"What a pretty little Robin!" You'll look perfect in a cage!" his voice is familiar and panic fills my entire body, but before I can call out for help or send Sebastian a distress signal, someone clamps a cloth over my mouth and nose and the sweetly sick scent overwhelms my senses and everything goes black.