Chapter 9 | part 1 [warning: moderate R rated content]

Ashan arrived at dusk to take her to Samsu, but it was not only her that he wanted to see.

He came in and bowed to Kisha, 'my lady, your husband insists that Eliana bring the princess this evening.'

Kisha's arms tightened around her daughter. 'No,' her voice was barely audible.

'I don't think it was optional,' said Ashan gently.

'No!' she was firmer this time. 'I don't care what you tell him, but she's not taking Sarri. You'll have to prise her from me.'

Eliana stood behind Ashan, poised and ready to leave. 'You know we won't do that. But Samsu won't just let it go.'

'I don't care. My baby stays with me.'

Ashan nodded, 'as you say. But I strongly advise against it. As your sister says, this will not be the last you hear of it.'

Sarri let out a little cry of protest as Kisha gripped her harder and shook her head.

'Very well.' Ashan bowed again, and swept out of the room with Eliana in tow.

As they made their way to Samsu's chambers, he asked her, 'what will you say to him?'

'I'll think of something,' she said grimly. 'I can't just tell him she refused - I don't think he'd believe me, for a start. Motherhood has given her some conviction at last.'

'Well, good luck.'

'Thank you. Honestly, I hardly care what he asks me to do tonight, I just hope that the Brute was right about Samsu claiming me for his own. At least I could be free of one of them.'

They arrived at the chamber door. Eliana took a deep breath, gathered her strength, and followed Ashan inside.

Samsu reclined on the bed, bare-chested, studying a map and picking at a bowl of dates beside him. His usual four guards were in the room: Ashan, the Brute, Asag the Ugly, and one other that she only knew by sight and by taste.

Moving into the centre of the room, she stopped, aware of his eyes on her. She counted slowly to five, before sinking into her bow.

She would show the humility that he demanded, but with just enough of a pause for it to be obvious that it was not spontaneous and genuine respect that made her bow.

'Well, whore. This is a poor start to the evening, is it not?'

Keeping her forehead to the floor, she held her tongue.

'You seem to have forgotten something. Where is the child?'

Eliana took the directness of the question for permission to speak. 'The princess has been a little unwell with colic this week. It is quite common in young children, but I judged it best to leave her with her mother, so that she wouldn't disturb you with her crying.'

Samsu swung off the bed and walked towards her. 'You judged it best? You think I keep you for your judgement?' He placed the heel of one foot carefully onto the fingers of her left hand as it rested on the ground beside where her forehead touched the floor. Gradually, he increased the pressure.

She bit her lip, determined not to make a sound though it felt like he was crushing her fingers to dust.

Impatient, he gave a little stamp, driving all his weight down on her slender digits. She gasped involuntarily, and was immediately furious with herself.

He gave a little chuckle. 'I always get what I want, whore. You must know that by now. If I want a cry of pain from you, that is what you will give me, whether you wish it or not.'