TWO ★ Duncan, Idaho

T W O

 HE was always there for her. No matter how simple or tragic the situation that presented itself was. These deeds were always, wrapped in a silent promise, reciprocated equally.

When Ian had failed all of his finals junior year and had to take classes over the summer, Bennie was there every afternoon after class with a bag of Spicy Nacho Doritos (his favorite) and a reassuring (and slightly sarcastic) comment.

And when Bennie's aunt passed away when she was twelve, the worst year of her life to date, Ian had never overstepped his boundary. He was there when she needed him, and not there when she didn't. They watched Casper the Friendly Ghost six times in one week and he didn't mind at all.

The dynamic duo. Together since they were two when their mothers had met at a yoga class. Inseparable. Tom and Jerry. Bonnie and Clyde.

And this is why they decided to go to California together. Not because they were secretly in love with each other, as many people suspected, but because they needed each other. They couldn't move on with their lives without each other. Bennie and Ian were soulmates.

They would do anything for each other.

Well, almost anything.

The barbeque passed slowly. Much to Bennie's disdain, she was greeted by many relatives that she hadn't seen in years. Her least favorite visitor had been Uncle Doug (whom her and her brothers not-so-lovingly called Uncle Dog) who carried with him his usual sour scent and deep western drawl.

And this was not the only bad part of the evening. The burgers burned, even under her father's reassurance that he was "the best griller in all of Duncan" and when she mentioned she was going to California with Ian, she received many raised eyebrows from her more conservative relatives.

Speaking of Ian, who had a rare talent of making any situation a good one, had his own surprise guest in the form of Maya Lewis, a girl from their grade that he had previously hooked up with.

Maya had arrived in the middle of the chaotic burger massacre, with her sleek dark hair wrapped up in a bun and her dark arms crossed in front of her chest. Bennie noticed her before Ian had, and nudged him sharply in the ribs.

When Ian had seen her, he sighed softly. Bennie didn't know the whole story about what had happened between them, but she did know that whatever it was, it would have to end. Ian was not one for long-distance.

She watched him protectively as he approached Maya, who, despite coming for the sole reason of talking to Ian, ignored his advancing presence. They locked eyes, and before Bennie knew it they were walking away from the group and toward the swing set in the back corner of the yard.

It had been an hour, and after the cake had been eaten, Bennie retreated inside to clean dishes for some much-needed alone time. The guests had already wished her good luck in college and began to gradually disappear.

She could see them from the sink window.

Ian was uncomfortable. She could tell by the way he kept shaking his curls and twisting his fingers in the hole of his shirt cuff. He hadn't said anything detrimental yet, she could tell by the neutral, if not calm, expression on Maya's face. It looked like two friends, or perhaps a couple, talking casually about an everyday thing. She even laughed at something he said, letting her head swing back and her eyes close.

Bennie felt her stomach tighten slightly. It was her sympathy for Maya that caused this reaction, mixed with anger toward Ian for delaying his inevitable piece of news he had yet to reveal. Bennie could hear the words in her head, though Ian's mouth did not match them.