5-Family-5

Ten years had passed since the day that L had met J, and both were quieter than usual, remembering their lost lives, as well as the obvious fact that they always seemed to ignore: had their family not died, the pair would never have met. This plain fact was one that caused the two to never be able to the other that they 'were so glad that they had met,' As well, as the fact that any mention of their meeting caused the two to be saddened immediately, even if it did not show externally.

They were good at that, hiding their emotions, some would even call them emotionless, but I know better. Living on the street for to years, you need to be able to read people, I think that's how I got into The Wammy's House, a detective of all people has to be good at reading people. It's how I rose to close to the top. Hiding their emotions, sometimes masking them with others, they could do that, even when with each other. Nobody, not one of us, ever wanted to show weakness. Even when L died, we pretended to be strong. Near is not the only person to have been referred to as a machine by Mello, I too, share that title, and attempt to keep it. I suppose once this has been written, I will lose the title.

All I do know, is that when I first met L and J, those I had first perceived to be a machine showed actual happiness for the first time in my knowledge. In fact, the first time I met them will be recounted in this chapter, should everything go to plan.

"L?" J said, quietly, now addressing the elephant in the room. The death of their families.
"Yes, J? What is it?" L did know of course, but he had almost been hoping to avoid the subject.
"It's been ten years," She started, unsure as to whether or not she should continue, until L motioned for her to do so, "I miss them, but I can hardly even remember them. Only key events, and... that day." Obviously, she was referring to her family, and the events that occurred the day before they met.

"It's been ten years, it's only natural that you would start to forget the little things. I take it you still have no idea how a whole family, excluding one, can die of unexpected heart attacks at the same time?" The slight nod confirmed his suspicions. "If it helps, I am also starting to forget. I try, but with our life moving at the pace it does, it's hard to keep track of everything. Even what you don't want to ever lose."
"I know, I know. Hey, L?" He nodded, "We've known each other for ten years, we should at least know each other's surnames. Not our full names, just our surnames. I know that if we know each other's full name, it puts the other one at risk." J was now, I think, just trying to distract and cheer both of them up.
"I don't see why not, but still, only surnames. Mine is Lawliet- spelled
L-A-W-L-I-E-T. It's a bit of an odd pronunciation. You?" L's name, in case you didn't know, is pronounced low-light. J then told him her name, which I will not write here, because she is still alive, and should another death note find its way into the human world in our lifetime, I do not want to cause her death.

Watari had also noted that the two were feeling less than happy, so decided that now was as good a time as any for some of the best at Wammy's to meet them, and for the children at Wammy's to solve their first real-life crime. After all, all of the top four candidates for the title of L or J would have to meet the pair at one point. I should also tell you that neither's gender had been disclosed to the public, and that this meant the top two could succeed either of them. Say, if J died or retired first, then it would mean that the first would succeed her. If it was L, then the same applies. This is why we were ranked together, and also why we needed to meet them both. At the time, the top four were:
1. Near
2.Mello
3.Tied were Matt and Copy

Copy was one of the ones earlier on in the Wammy's House, and was given her name instead of choosing it, just as B was L or J's Backup, C would attempt to be the Copy. However, Copy was still around Near's age at the time, at this point in the story, I believe that they were 9 and 8 respectively. Mello and Matt would be, I think, 10 at the time. Despite their ages, they were still the best in the orphanage, and looked up to L and J entirely.