march 7, 2014

Things around the house had been pretty tense following the bad news we received at the doctor's office. Mom's first visit with her high-risk doctor was approaching quickly and that only added to the tenseness in the air. Walking around the house was like walking on eggshells.

"I'm sure she'll be okay," Calum tried to assure me. "They're only sending her to make sure everything goes well. It's just precautionary."

"They basically told us something bad was going to happen," Emma sighed.

"Well, they didn't exactly say that," I chimed in.

Luke swallowed the bite of apple he was chewing in his mouth before throwing in some encouraging words, "It's probably better off this way. God forbid something was to happen, the doctor would be able to catch it sooner. It's a blessing in disguise."

Maybe he was right. I mean, there was obviously risks associated with getting pregnant at such an age so it was probably a good thing to have another doctor keep a close eye on mom and the baby. "I guess you're right," I smiled slightly.

He threw his lanky yet strong arm around my shoulder, "That's the spirit. I'm sure everything will be perfectly fine."

"Yeah, just have positive thoughts," Michael says through a mouthful of food.

"I will," I assured him. "It's just a little scary."

"So has your mom told Kal?" the question came from Ashton, whose shoulder held up Emma's head.

My heart raced at the question. Everything was complete chaos in the house. "Yeah, she told him. It didn't go well."

"As in how?" Calum asked, snatching a french fry off my lunch tray.

"He stormed out of the house and spent hours at the bar which had mom worried sick," Emma began. "And when he came home, he started throwing things. He was crying."

"You mean the soulless asshole has a heart? And emotions?" Michael joked sarcastically, earning a laugh from everyone at the lunch table.

"Apparently so," I giggled. "I never saw him cry. Not even at his and my mom's wedding."

"Wow," Luke breathed out. "Everyone cries at weddings, especially their own. He really is a dick."

"Where have you been, Luke?" Emma laughed. "You should have already known that."

He raised his arms in defense, "Kidding, Em. Don't murder me."

She threw her empty bottle of water at him, which resulted him throwing his apple core and I had to yell at them to settle down before a full blown food fight broke out. I didn't want anything bad to happen to my french fries.

"We should all actually hang out over the weekend because we haven't done that yet," Calum suggested. "It could be like a triple date."

"How would it be a triple date?" I couldn't help but ask.

His brows furrowed together, "You and Luke, Emma and Ash, and me and Michael. Duh."

He made it sound like the answer was completely obvious, which cracked me up. "Lella, Asma & Malum take on Portland," Michael declared, which made us all laugh super hard.

As the laughter died down, lunch drew to a close. We parted ways to go to our seperate classes. I made my way to physics, my least favorite class of the day.

I took my usual seat next to a nice girl named Bethany. She was a really pretty blonde girl that had one of those personalities where you couldn't tell if she was geeky or laidback. She tended to be both from what I've witnessed.