Chapter 17:

MACKENZIE 

I woke up in a disarray. Ky laid next to me fast asleep. Once again I could hear my parents screaming and I knew the only way to end this was for me to pull myself together, let them know I'm okay, even if I wasn't. I hopped in the shower and cleaned myself up before heading downstairs.

"I should have never married you, I should have never gotten pregnant by you, I should have never even let you meet our daughter. How fucking could you?" My mom's voiced cracked, "my baby is broken."

"Mom.." I interrupted.

She quickly swung around, brushing her face hastily to rid her eyes of tears.

"Hey baby, how you feeling?" She smiled.

"I'm okay, I mean, I'm good. I just needed time to like get myself in the right space but I am perfectly fine now." I said and to me, it sounded believable even though I felt a pang in my heart with every word.

My dad looked at me with pity and guilt. I knew he was sorry, I knew he just didn't want to seem weak or, whatever it was.

"I forgive you, daddy. Don't worry about me, seriously, I'm okay." I said and went to hug him. I felt the lump in my throat growing.

This moment was everything, feeling my dad's arms around me felt like the strength I needed, the strength I didn't have. I admired my dad more than he knew. His life wasn't easy and he did things that I knew was hard for him. All so we could have a good life, and live without a want in the world.

"I love you, babygirl and I'm so so sorry.." He continued to hold me close.

"I know, dad." I smiled up at him, "Let's just move on, okay?"

He nodded in agreement.

When I released my dad I saw my sister staring at us. She smiled but not one that felt genuine.

"You okay, Liyah?" I asked.

"Are YOU okay?" She returned, "This house is always in shambles if you're not." She finished sarcastically.

"Yeah," I paused, "I'm good."

Her resentment for me has been clear as day, but she was my sister and I loved her even if she didn't want it, didn't care for it and didn't need it.

"Do you feel up to go to school today, honey?" My mom asked.

I laughed, "Yes, I'm totally fine. After all, I do need to graduate."

I couldn't live life obsessing over Chance's murder. I'm sure that's not what he wanted but I knew I needed to get away from my family. Something just wasn't right every time I was around them. My life was filled with destruction at every turn, I wanted to take control of my life from the bottom up. I knew exactly how.

I ran up to my room to see Ky's strong back as he pulled a white tee over his brown skin. What a beautiful human he was not just on the outside but on the inside too. I lightly knocked on the door and cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Hey, how you feeling?" He said as he sat down on my bed.

"Better." I smiled walking to sit next to him, "Thank you for coming."

"Anything for you, you know that." He assured me.

I leaned my head against his shoulder, "I need to ask you for something, and I know it's going to sound insane but..i just need to do this."

He groaned under his breath, and sighed loudly, "What?"

"I want you to teach me how to deal." I proclaimed casually.

He laughed from his stomach, "Deal what? Cards? Mackenzie girl, don't be fucking stupid." He shrugged me off his arm and stood up. "Look at where the fuck you live? Look at your life, you do not need to be doing that shit."

"I know but I don't want to ask my mom for money and I certainly don't want my dad's money especially not after what he did but I do want to get out of here, no more ties." I explained, "i can't live like this, Ky." Tears welled up in my eyes.

"I can't keep being here and being put in these situations, since I was a child I've been dragged into this mess. I can't do it." I cried.

He kneeled in front of me wiping my tears, "so get a job." He whispered.

"Fuck you." I said pushing him to the ground, "i'll do it myself."

"Ahh yesss, princess watches a couple episodes of breaking bad here, couple episodes of queen of the south there and she. is. READDDDYY!" He hollered with anger in his tone.

"This shit is in my blood, I been in this shit before you were even a thought, Ky. So if you don't want to help me I'll find someone who will. The day after graduation, I'm out. There's nothing any of you can do. Getting a job isn't going to get me the kind of money I need." I explained, I was determined.

Chance taught me a lot in the short time together, he opened my eyes to the corruption in my upbringing and that's exactly why I needed to do this.

"So what's the deal, you wanna stand on the corner selling rock to fiends?" He asked.

"No," I shook my head, "I want to supply it."

He raised his eyebrow, and sighed; "Alright, I'm listening."

"I gotta get to school but, pick me up after and I'll explain everything." I said.

This idea had been whirling in my head for a while and now was the time to execute it. I realized I couldn't trust my family. Not my mom, not my dad and certainly not my sister. The love was there but, that wasn't enough to keep me from being a consistent target for my parent's enemies and my sister's jealousy.