Chapter 6

Arell took of at a brisk pace, grateful at least that the mules were giving their co-operation.  He still had a distance to before he reached the place Regatten would be meeting him.  A short distance from where he would meet Regatten, he left the mules tied to a tree.

“Regatten, are you here?”

You are late you know?  It is not very polite to keep someone waiting like that.”

Arell thought that the dragon he now called his best friend sounded peevishly put out.

“I am very sorry to have kept you waiting like this.  Human relationships are so complicated.”

“Why?  Life is simple.  Everything else should be too.”

“It should, shouldn’t it?  But still, I find myself amazed almost everyday at how complicated people make it.  It is almost as if they have a strong distaste in things that are straight forward, plain and simple.  I don’t quite understand it.  I just sincerely hope that my life never gets that complicated.  It would drive my out of my mind.”

“There is that thing about losing your mind again!  Are you sure that it can not escape you?”

“I used to be.  Now I am not so sure anymore.”

“Perhaps it is a good thing that you got to spend some time with us dragons.  So that you can see for yourself how straight forward and uncomplicated things could be.  But then, humans are known to be very strange.  Very strange indeed, but enough of that, I brought the skins as you requested.  Hope I did not damage any in my attempt to pack them up all together.  Our claws do not have the same functions are your hands you know.”

“Thanks, I will have a look at them in the morning.  I should be heading back, it has been a long day for me.  We are going to have so much to talk about when I go back to the mountains with you.”

“Yes, I must admit that we are all extremely interested in hearing all about your time away from us.  And surprised about that as well I can tell you.  No one expected to be so curious about this visit of yours to this strange place.  For us at least.  Any how, I should be making my way back as well.  Call me when you need rescuing!”

“Will do.  Thanks for coming out with this stuff, I do appreciate it.”

“Only a pleasure to help out a friend.”

Arell knew that Regatten truly thought of him as a friend, he could feel the warmth of that emotion in Regatten’s mind, and it warmed him as well.

“Thank you, Friend.”

With a silent chuckle the huge dragon threw himself into the air, and in a few heartbeats, disappeared from sight into the dark night.

Only then did he look at the pile of skins lying to one side.  It looked as if Regatten had brought all the fur.  Oh well, now he could either sell or exchange for a proper winter coat.  The one he had attempted to stitch together, would not last for more than a day or two, and it sat uncomfortable on him.  He had learnt a better respect for tailors and those who were able to put together a garment fit for wearing, as his own attempts had been lousy to say the least.

When he had split the pile of fur onto the two mules, he took of at a brisk pace.  Thankfully the mules were also in a hurry to get to the warm stable, and some fresh hay, so he did not have to struggle with them at all.  In the small stable, just off of the barn Deonus used for his workshop, Arell took the furs and hung them over a railing in the barn.  It could stay there until morning, when he would have a look for any tears or punctures.