Goodbyes

THE MINUTE WE KISSED, FIREWORKS SEEMED TO EXPLODE BEHIND US. I pulled away--too soon it felt-- and took a look around the village. The once gloomy, evil looking carnage seemed to be glowing a multicolored rainbow. But the merpeople had to be the most spectacular part. They lifted into the water above by an unknown forced and the dark magic streamed out and went upwards, dissolving into nothingness.

The colors that replenished the darkness nearly blinded me. Everything from ochre to aqua and eggplant, even some colors that I hadn't seen before. I was stunned watching them in front of me.

I grabbed Ryan's hand and he squeezed it tightly as we watched the brilliant lights and colors burst. I think I started crying, but underwater, I couldn't tell.

Carly swam up to me, her tail exactly like Ryan's but without the greenish hue and gold flecks. I hugged her. "Oh Carly!"

"Don't you ever do that to us again," Ryan scolded her then hugged her.

As we were embracing, the same man as we saw yesterday swam up to us.

"You have done this village a great honor." He shook Ryan's hand, then he swam over to me. His expression of happiness turned to shock when he saw me.

He seemed to be inspecting my face. I did the same to him-- he looked very, very familiar. So familiar that it was freaky.

"D-do I know y-you?" He asked me.

The man had light brown hair and bluish eyes. He had a tail the exact same shade as me: reddish-copper.

"D-d-dad?" I asked meekly. He nodded and looked like he would start crying.

"You're the lost princess." He said through tears.

Whoa whoa whoa. Back this up. Princess?

"A-a what?!" I choked.

"My daughter has returned!" He announced and we hugged each other. I was crying too, but nobody could tell.

How did I know he was my dad? I'd had a lot of doubts lately, but there was no doubt in my mind that this was in fact my dad.

He took us into the ballroom of the castle, and we perched ourselves on the rocks scattered throughout the marble room.

"So," Dad started. "I bet you all want to hear the whole story."

Ryan, Carly and I nodded in agreement.

"The last magic-keeper had a jealous brother, who wanted the power he possessed. The brother's name was Rondo. Rondo found a gem that allowed him to control black magic. He basically 'promised' he'd repay for all the magic. He ended up almost trading his soul for the power of dark magic. Soon, he lost control and couldn't pay the magic back. And I think that's why he needed all of the village, and that's why they got possessed by dark magic."

I raised my eyebrows. How horrible!

"And now we have a new magic-keeper, and you'll have to watch your back."

Ryan grinned in awe but still seemingly couldn't believe it.

"And Carly, I know you've worked hard to try to defeat Rondo."

Then he turned to me. "I couldn't be more proud of my daughter than I am today."

We all beamed at him.

"So, when should you all move in?"

My heart dropped. I couldn't live down here. As much as I wanted to, I had a life and some friends and my family. I couldn't just abandon them.

But on the other hand, I really loved this village. I was literally the princess, I'd eventually have to rule.

"It would be an honor to help protect the village," Ryan said. I was happy for him, but did this mean we'd never see each other again?

"Can we talk in the hallway?" I asked Ryan quietly. I got a nod from my dad and Ryan swam up followed me into the hallway of which we had previously entered.

"I can't stay here," I confessed looking down. "And I-I'm going to miss you a lot."

He gave me a pleading expression. "Why? Can't we just stay down here forever? Forget the problems you had up there." He grabbed my hands.

I pulled away. "You spent your whole life down here trying to get away, and now you changed your mind? And I can't just run away from my problems! That's not how life works!"

"But you wouldn't know that! Your supposed to be here, I can tell. But you're running away from here, this village!"

I shook my head with sad frown. "I can't belong in two places, I'm sorry."

"Please, Holly!"

I shook my head. "I should go. My parents will be worried."

"So will your dad! And he's down here!"

I choked back tears. "B-bye, Ryan."

I swam away and wiped the tears off my face.

"Dad," I choked out. "I can't stay. I'm sorry." Before I could cry anymore, I swam as fast as I could and back to the shore. I dried off and sprinted back to my house. On the way back I passed a poster, with my face and name on it.

Oh my god. I was in trouble. I didn't mean to hurt anyone!

I ran even faster and opened the door. There were officers talking to my adoptive parents, whom abruptly stared at me. I ran to them and hugged them all.

"I-I'm sorry. I got swept out to sea." I choked back tears, but I knew they'd come eventually. The officers dispersed and my adoptive parents thanked them for their time.

Kayla heard the commotion from her room and got up to hug me. "Holly!" She squealed then whispered in my ears. "Did you defeat the bad guys?"

I chuckled sadly. "Almost," I said, knowing the last "bad guy" to fight would be my own heart. Someone would get hurt, no matter what choice I made.

****

Aww. Okay so this is the last chapter... :((( I feel like I poured my whole life into the book in the chapters for a whole ten days!

So I'll give the whole speech about how thankful I am tomorrow with the epilogue. :)

Promise me you'll read the other book I'm working on so we can go on more crazy adventures! <3

Please comment, vote and follow!

Rae <3