The Events At Scarlet Leaf.

-SIX MONTHS AFTER THE RETURN OF ALIANNA WINTER-

Isabel Winter was content. She had been content for the best part of the last six months, but that day in particular-she wasn't quite sure why-Isabel Winter was feeling particularly content. As she contentedly continued to crochet the doily in her hands, staring out over Praed Street from the little window-seat on the floor above the door, Isabel felt the sun shine warmly onto her face, and she smiled to herself.

Her little moment's peace was shattered by the intense scream of her little sister, Alianna Winter, one floor down.

Peace lying in a tangled mess all over the floor, along with the half-crocheted doily, Isabel hurried, worried, to the stairs.

"Allie? Are you alright?" she called, as she scurried down the staircase two at a time. Her younger sister was standing frozen in the hall, one hand over her mouth, a letter in the other and her green eyes wide as dinner plates. Allie then seemed to recover herself, before removing her hand to reveal a wide smile, and she skidded into her sister for a big hug before Isabel had time to ask-well-anything.

"They're opening Scarlet Leaf! For a charity event. Kitten's aunt's organising it-and we're all invited! Me and you and Fisher and Barnes and-oh, well, Newham's in America now, but all the same-"

Allie was looking up at Isabel with possibly the biggest grin she had ever worn. Isabel felt slightly nonplussed.

"It's just a charity event" she pointed out, a little scathingly. Allie groaned.

"Izzy, it was my first ever case!  You've got to come-I've so much to show you! It's only in a week, look! We are going." Allie pulled away from her sister and folded her arms petulantly.

"Must we? You know I hate travelling" Isabel complained, looking just as petulant.

"Fisher'd come with me" Allie argued, sneakily, Isabel noted, picking a line of attack Allie always seemed to pick these days. Mainly because it always worked.

"And Barnes" Allie added. "They'd love the time off."

"Do you reckon we could invite D.I. Smart, as well, then?" Isabel teased, and Allie's eyes narrowed. "I mean, since Newham can't come that IS one spare place..."

It was unclear what the relationship was between Isabel's little sister and the Detective Inspector these days. Sure, Isabel knew they still liked to bond over the occasional puzzle, but Smart never came to call and Allie never seemed to speak of him. Although, going by the current colour of her sister's cheeks, Isabel would put at least half a crown on those two being closer than appearances suggested.

"I'll ask" Allie replied tightly. "If you'll promise to come."

"It's just a house, Allie" Isabel sighed. "But fine. I promise."

Her little sister beamed.

"I'll send Smart a letter" she said, and just at that point, Isabel caught a hint of something else in her eyes. Mischief. Undoubtedly mischief. "I'll make sure Fisher and Barnes can get the time off, too" Allie added, passing Isabel and hurrying off up the stairs.

"I can't think of why you want to go so much" Isabel called after her.

***