Chapter 5: answering questions.

Chapter 5: 

Rain Maker:

        I lie in silence on my bed, staring at the blank ceiling, questions flying about in my head. A few about the girl, a few about my return home, and at least one about what happened to the Empath. My cheek was dressed with a sterile gauze padding that must've been Merrill's handiwork, but I could still feel it everytime I tried to open my mouth or smile.

        I lay there a long time, thinking about the girl and her unethical greeting. It wasn't like I could really blame her. I mean, if someone had been following me through the alleys of the Outer City, I would have gotten suspicious, too.

        But nothing I could really think of matched up with how I got home. None of the team expected me back until late that night, so none of them would've been looking for me. I couldn't have gotten back unless...

        Unless she was the one that took me here.

---

Rain Maker:

        "What were you up to last night?" Mach immediately began probing me as I emerged from my bedroom, dark green eyes flashing as he looked at me expectantly from across the kitchen where he leaned on the refrigerator. I just moved across the kitchen and sat at the table, head throbbing.

        In all honesty, I couldn't remember much aside from that girl's face, creased with concern as I slumped against the wall. The ghost memory of her touch on my shoulders was what I actually remembered the best.

        Talon, who was she?

        "How did I get back here, Mach?" I answered his question with a question. Mach pouted in response. "I was on patrol in Outer City and woke up here."

        I figured it was better he not know about getting clocked by a pretty girl, or that I'd technically 'met' a pretty girl.

        "She was the knight and you, the damsel," Mach chuckled sarcastically, quick to recover from my avoiding the question. "Your beautiful savior in jeans and jogging shoes." Mach theatrically waltzed around the kitchen, laughing at his private joke.

        "What are you going on about?" I questioned, somewhat lost, but my interest piqued by the mention of a 'she'. 'She was the knight and you, the damsel'? What could that have to do with her, though? Had she really taken me back, like I'd speculated before?

        "Charm made me and the others wait until you woke up to figure out just what happened.to you last night and judging from that stupid look on your face, you know about as much as we do," Mach sneered, gesturing to me with a roll of his eyes and nod of his head.

        "A girl dragged you here with you on her back," Charm's voice added in our conversation as he appeared in the doorway of the kitchen, fully dressed for his civilian day job as an internal affairs officer. "We had hoped you might be able to clear up why you were knocked cold and how a civilian found the base."

        I internally groaned. It seemed like I had to tell them about being cracked in the face by a sneaky girl who- wait.

        "Did you say she found the base?" I echoed Charm's statement as a question. Charm just nodded as my mouth dropped open. How did she do it?

        Mach, however, read into it.

        He leaned over the dining table at me, a teasing look in his eye. "Did you find yourself a little girlfriend?"