Chapter Eighteen // Promise

The words "i'm pregnant" hung in the air for what seemed like the longest time, but was only a matter of seconds. I watched Chase take in what I just said, but the reaction I was waiting for, never came. Instead, he said, "I know."

"How?" I demanded, suddenly angry with him

"This morning when I went to get you some pills, I saw the test in your bag."

"So all of this," I waved at the mock first date he sat up and then motioned between him and I, "and the stuff you've been saying was because you knew I was pregnant? If I wasn't would this all would have happened?" I tried to hop down but Chase wouldn't move. I was so angry at how foolish I was to believe he was doing this for us, and not because he knocked me up.

"Sadie, no, listen to me." He turned my chin so I looked him in the eyes. "I said everything before I knew you were pregnant, and I mean it. I'm sorry for the shit I put you through and I know words are just words until I put them into action. I really want us to start over, Sadie, and I've loved you from the first time I laid eyes on you. But then I found out you were pregnant and I knew that I couldn't mess this up, no matter if the baby is mine or not. I lost you once and I don't want to lose you again. I don't think I could survive if you left me for good."

I took a steady breath realizing what he said was right. He did say all those things before he knew about the baby, and now that he knows, he's still here. "Remind me again why you love me. I need to hear it." I need to hear it before I do something stupid and run away.

Chase touched the necklace I wore, a gift from a lifetime ago. I turned one of the guitar picks he gave me from his car and made a necklace out of it. Now he's touching it like it held our past and in a way it did.

"I remember the exact moment I laid eyes on you. We were at some function for your dad and this kid was beating everyone at go-karts. I thought they were letting them win because of how tiny you where. So I raced you and had my ass handed to me. Then you took off your helmet and gave me such a dazzling smile that I knew from that day forward I had to be in your life. You're a fireball, Sadie, you know what you want and you work hard for it."

"But also, I love how your blue eyes shine when you talk about something you're passionate about. How the summer sun makes the freckles on your nose more prominent. I love how you can sing better than anyone on the radio now and really wish you got the chance to show your talents when you left for Nashville." Chase broke eye contact with me and bit his lip like he was holding back something. "I, uh, was there."

"Where?"

"Nashville, for your one show. We were in Bristol and I dragged Blaney with me. I had to see you, to know that you were okay and not living on the streets. I was so worried and knew you wouldn't text or call me back if I tried." I remember that night vividly. I thought I saw Chase standing in the back of the small crowd, but I just played it off as my imagination because in a blink of an eye, he was gone.

"I'd wish you were there, every single night.

Chase took my hands in his, "I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise me you'll never let me go?"

"I promise."

"No matter what?"

"I promise, no matter what."

~*~

A/N:  Sorry for the long delay in updating.  I had crazy writers block and have been extremely busy (like I was at Martinsville for the race and it was so much fun!!)  Please leave some love & tell me what you think so far.  Hope to get to the next chapter here soon <3