Prologue

I watched as the ship left the ground and the Pikmin stared at my ship. They must have known it was goodbye. As I started flying off into space, as I had so many times before, I realized how much that planet meant to me. I closed my eyes for a long second and reminded myself that the president was here with me and I didn't have much food left anyway. I looked back, the last time I might ever see the planet. Then my eyes grew wide as I saw one of the onions light up. Then another and another and pretty soon the whole face of the planet was glowing. Was it possible there were more kinds of Pikmin than I realized?

When I returned to Hocotate, life went on as usual. A year passed without much change. Then one day, the president called me into his office.

"Olimar, Olimar, it's terrible!" He cried, flaring his arms around dramatically.

"What is it, President?" I asked.

"Everything! Everything's. . . Gone!" He cried.

"What gone?" I said as calmly as possible.

"The treasure! Everything is gone!!" The way he said it made it sound like the end of the world. I wanted to point out to him that we had just sold the last treasure three days prior at an auction, but I knew that wasn't the best idea. Instead I just put simply,

"I see."

"Olimar, we need more! Go back to that planet and grab as much treasure as possible with Louie. I'll even give you 50% of the profit!" He exclaimed. The image of the very first pikmin I've ever seen strayed into my thoughts. The image of hundreds of lights from the Pikmins' onions also came back to me along with many other memories. I agreed, of course. And so, the arrangements were made and Louie and I went to the planet; for my third time and his second.