Chapter 30 - Fight Scene Part 2

"Put down the bow," She said. Instead of complying, he raised it, fixing it just over her heart, his fingers ready to release. She remained calm and collected. The sound of battle drums could be heard approaching the castle. She glanced out over the balcony and he took that moment to tackle her.

"I want to watch your pretty little skin turn black and blue," He had her pinned to the ground with his knees. "I want to hear you beg for your life." He smacked her face, leaving her lip bloody. "Beg, you human bitch, beg."

Sarah gathered a mouthful of blood and saliva, spitting it up into his face. It did nothing but enrage him more and he brought his hands over her neck, attempting to cut off her air supply.

Jareth could hear the struggle beside him but was still unable to move. The poisonous drug he'd been given had nearly killed him and he feared for Sarah's life. He fought hard to move a muscle. His fingers and toes were twitching sporadically, but not loosening enough.

Sarah gasped for breath, having successfully kicked Gideon off of her. Using a sideways chair to pull himself up, Gideon raked his fingers through her hair and drug her toward the balcony. The drums had reached the castle and he was getting desperate. He grabbed one of her legs in one hand and her arm in the other, dangling her sideways over the side.

Her blood curdling scream rang out, echoing over the walls and grounds. He shook her for good measure before letting go of her arm, now dangling her by just one leg.

"Jareth, help me!" She screamed, begging, not knowing if he was able to help at all.

"He can't hear you, dear human Sarah. He's too far gone, and he'll die just after you, now that you're disgusting love isn't helping him revive. I'm sure you'll be together in death."

He laughed and looked toward Jareth's body, gasping in shock. A figure stood in the doorway. Gideon did a double take and moved back toward the door. But it was too late, his eyes were already glazed in pain and recognition.

"Father?" He gasped.

"You're no son of mine." Byron stood in the doorway holding the empty bow, still pointed at his eldest son. The arrow was protruding from both sides of Gideon's body. A dark pool of blood was already pooling at the points of entry and exit.

Sarah screamed again as Gideon pitched backwards, she was still suspended in midair, not able to help herself. His grip on her leg was slipping quickly. Byron strolled forward and pulled Sarah back up and over the balcony. He hugs her close and Sarah can feel his grief emanating between them.

Gently backing away, she turns to Jareth. His eyes are no longer fluttering, but rather wide open. His muscles are spasming roughly as the last of the poison leaves his body.

A flurry of activity is happening as medics and warriors invade the space, but neither of them notices. Byron orders Gideon to be put in the dungeon to await trial. A pair of medics tend to him, sedating him before the guards lead him away.

His screams of underground domination ring through the castle before the medicine takes full effect. Byron offers Sarah and Jareth privacy, telling her that he is going to send for Alesia and Esmeralda. Sarah simply nods. Now that everything is over, it doesn't seem real.

She doesn't know how long she sat there with Jareth's head in her lap. She denied help from the medics, knowing the poison would be unaffected by any counter medications.

Finally, as a new day dawned, Jareth was able to move freely and speak. Sarah had managed to fall asleep in the uncomfortable sitting position. She started as she felt his hand reach up and caress her cheek.

"I gather you know it was Gideon?" He asks.

Sarah nods and stands, helping Jareth stand to his feet. It'd been a few days since he'd stood. They embraced, both relieved to still be alive and have each other. Jareth, of course, heard her thoughts immediately, and ran a hand over her stomach. Both smiled at each other, excited about their future.

"Next time, let me be the damsel in distress, okay?" Sarah said.

They chuckled and Sarah helped him along as they made their way to find Byron. A new beginning was in store for everyone.