Red Lips

Red Lips

I wake to the feeling of a warm arm resting on my side. I gently roll over and see Jace fast asleep. Small snores leave his parted lips, which makes me smile. As I go to move his arm, the slight movement sends his eyes fluttering open.

Jace looks at me confused, before pulling his arm back and muttering, "Sorry."

"We um, we should..." I blush.

"We should go." Jace sits up, tugging me along with him.

"Can we stop by the bathroom?"

"Do you need to?" His eyebrows flair up worriedly.

"Brush my hair," I say, pointing at my head.

"Good idea." Jace and I get out of bed and walk to my bathroom. I tug on my rumpled clothing, but it does nothing to fix my appearance. I pull a brush through my hair, which does little to lift my 'just got out of bed' look and then I shower myself in perfume.

"Careful with that." Coughs Jace. "You're going to kill me with it."

"Ops." I smile and place the perfume back on the bench.

Once we're finished in the bathroom, Jace and I walk downstairs and grab some fruit from the kitchen bench and head towards the front door. My parents are already out of the house for work, so I don't need to worry about them.

As we walk down the street, I bite into my apple while Jace eats a banana.

"Thanks for the food." He nods.

"Welcome." I giggle.

"Get your head out of the gutta, you dirty girl," he says in a teasing laugh. Jace's shoulder slams into mine, which sends me off course, laughing and smiling. As I catch my balance again, Jace grabs my hand and laces his fingers through mine.

I don't draw attention or make a comment about him holding my hand, but I hope that my face doesn't give me away.

We walk to the trainstation and purchase tickets. We board the waiting train and look for seats. When we can't find anything, we stand near the entrance and hold onto the pole. The doors close and the train begins to move. We don't say anything along the ride, but I wish he'd hold my hand again.

Within fifteen minutes, the train dips under a tunnel, casting us in complete darkness until it opens up to the underground station. Jace is quick to grab me and push us towards the side of the train. He wraps his arms around my waist and snuggles his face in my neck.

"Stay calm," he whispers.

I go to look out of curiosity, but his arms squeeze my body and I stop.

When the coast is clear, he steps back and smiles at me.

"Ready to get these off?" asks Jace.

"Sure." I nod my head.

We walk off the train and head upstairs. Jace and I try to stay within large groups of crowds so nobody sees us poking out. I follow Jace across the bridge and down the side steps. We walk along one of the end streets until we get to the more cultured stores. We end up in front of a gothic shop with t-shirts posted on the window.

"Here we are," says Jace.

Jace opens the door and we walk inside.

"You made it," calls out Eddy.

"Can you still help us out?" asks Jace.

"Yeah." Eddy nods his head and walks out the back of the shop.

Eddy soon returns with a pair of bolt cutters. Carefully, he removes the cuffs and which makes me smile happily - thank goodness! Once they're off, Jace suddenly picks me up and spins me around in circles.

"We're free," he yells, "we're finally free."

When he places me down, I smile up at him. It was certainly nice knowing Jace, even if it was just for a little bit.

"Thanks Eddy, and thanks Jace. I should get going."

"Are you sure?" they asks.

"Yeah, I have somewhere I gotta be."

"Oh, bye then." Jace gives me an awkward hug before letting me go. Even if it was for a short period of time, it feels weird being able to walk around free. With one last wave, I walk out of the shop and onto the street. I pass the busy shops and find myself wandering towards the park to think.

I sit on the bench and grab out my phone to check Facebook. A post from Luke pops onto the screen with 'to the asshole who smashed my window on my car, fuck you.' The post makes me laugh, he deserved it.

"Yeah, fuck you, you asshole," I grumble while hitting like on the picture, I scroll down to the next post. Someone sits beside me, so I shuffle away, fearing the consequences of being close to someone else. I briefly look up and catch the sight of Jace.

He holds up a lipstick tube and smiles at me, "Midnight Rose."

"What?" I frown.

"Put it on," he encourages. "I want to see how it looks on you."

Rolling my eyes, I take the tube and open it. I put the deep red lipstick on my lips and smile, "Happy?"

"Perfect." He smiles.

"Anything else?" I laugh.

"Just wait," he teases, humour glowing in his eyes.

Jace slowly moves forwards, which makes my breath get caught in my chest. When he starts to close my eyes, I do the same thing and wait. His lips press against mine, which makes me jerk back in surprise.

"Almost perfect first kiss." Laughs Jace.

Shrugging my shoulders, I smile, "Thanks, Jace."

"I know it's a bit crazy, but I really want to know more about you. Can we please spend more time together?" he asks.

"Sure." I nod my head. I try to stop the huge smile forming on my face, but the prospect of spending more time with Jace is exciting.

"One day we'll get that perfect kiss."

"Maybe not with the red lipstick." I point to his lip.

Jace shrugs as he leans in for another kiss. As our lips meet once more, the excitement continues to bubble inside of me. The shade of lipstick wasn't important for my perfect first kiss, but the person is. I'm glad Jace got to be my first almost perfect kiss.