chapter twelve

hermes kids we were as we sweeped the nearest beach, swiping cokes from vendors helping customers and samwiches and candy bars from beach baskets. soon enough we were back on the roof we had left bellona, munching down snickers and eating soggy salami samwiches and slurping sodas. we were about to climb back on bellona when the door opened and a boy our age stepped out on the roof. he was dragging a bag of trash. he started breathing hevily at the sight of us but we weren't the ones he was staring at, his eyes were fixed apon the pegusus behind us

"is that.." he dropped the trash bag

"what?" i asked

"the...."

"you can see it cant you!" leo asked, putting his hand on bellona's snout. the kid nodded. he had messy blonde hair falling past his ears and green eyes. he was about as tall as leo and me and wore a tshirt and jeans and converses.

"who are you?" i asked the boy, who was frozen now, except his green eyes, darting from me to leo to bellona.

"who are you?" he asked, now giving us a more cautioned look

"im jade, and this is leo. were... special."

"your mental im guessing." he said with a flat voice.

"hey!" leo exlclaimed

"my name is aaron. my parents own this shop.... is that a pegusus?" he asked at last, pointing to bellona

"yes." leo said

i grabbed leo's arm and pulled him into a huddle, our baclks to aaron. :i think hes just a mortal, that can somehow see through the mist." i whispered

"i would agree." said leo "he doesnt seem like a demigod, and hes like already fifteen or sixteen, if he were a demigod, he would have already been found my our sytrs."

"hey guys." i whipped around to see aaron closer to us, seeming more relaxed

"i saw you stealing from our store" he said

"come on!" leo laughed "there are a ton of kids wearing hoodies to the beach, its so in!"

"ill take the blame for you guys if you do me a favor though." his eyes were shining, that worried me.

"what do you want us to do?" leo asked

"well.." he suddenly became akward, shuffling his feet and looking at the ground. "i dont really.... i dont have any friends. maybe you guys can hang out for a while?"

i almost said no, i almost told him we had better things to do, but i liked this kid, he seemed fun, he seemed to understand and accept us.

"sure! what do you want to do?" it had been a while since i had some real fun with kids my age,

his eyes sparkled and he grinned. he had braces. "how aboutr truth or dare!"

twenty minutes later we were having a blast, sitting on roof and laughing our heads off.

it was aaron's turn. "leo! truth or dare?"

"dare!" leo awnsered quickly.

"hmmm..." arron said, scratchiong his face

"i dare you to kiss jade!"

everything fell silent really qickly. leo's face went red and i could feel mine get hot. i looked away, leo was just my friend, why should i be blushing?

"um.."

"come on, man dont be chicken!" aaron nudged leo.

"its fine leo, um were just friends anyway." i said. man, i had had too much sugar. leo didnt meet my eyes as he turned to me and his face had gotten close to mine. then he looked up, and brown met brown before his lips touched mine. aaron grinned but i didnt see because i had closed my eyes. thats what you were supposed to do when you kiss, right? but our lips stayed together for a moment then i pulled away quickly. leo turned around and buried his face in his hands. mine must have looked like a tomato because my cheeks burned. it seemed as we had forgotten that arron was there. i didnt know wether to feel akward of happy. wait, happy? i mean that one mnt could have just burned our friendship! i put a hand on leo's shoulder, not knowing why, but he didnt look at me.

"im.. im really sorry guys." aaron said, shame heavy in his voice "now you see why i dont have any friends."

"its not your fault buddy." leo said, looking at aaron "we should get going anyways.

"oh okay" aaron said, looking down. "thanks for hanging out with me and... im really sorry."

"maybe we can come hang out again  after weve finished our..."

'what we have to do." leo finished for me. we met eyes for a moment, and forgetting what just happened, silently swore not to tell aaron who we really were.

aaron nodded "hey im not going to push for details, but..... can i pet your pegusus?"

"if you want to loose a couple of fingers." i laughed. he smiled

"im good!" he rubbed his hand. then asked quietly "....its all real isnt it? like greek mythology stuff? that i learn about in school?"

"all but the "myth" part" leo said "its not safe for you to know more though." aaron nodded, wide eyed. "okay!"

and we were off again! arron had sworn not to tell anyone what he had seen, and leo and i were.. okay again.

the only thing is i was unsure about our relationship status. we are just friends... we are just friends... i told myself, but as i flew over rhode island and Massachusetts, i just wasnt sure of anything anymore.

___________

FEEEEEEEED

BAAAAAAACK

_________