Lunch Trouble

Ella walked into the lunch room, as she always did at 12:45. She walked over to the back where a glass door was. Students were allowed to go out there during lunch. It had a nice flower bed and three picnic tables painted blue. Ella pushed the door open with left arm, the other carrying her lunchbox. She walked over to her favorite table, which she nicknamed Denise. She'd whisper to the thing, which she did secretly. Otherwise, well, Ella didn't want to think about that.

"Hello, Denise," she whispered while sitting down. She made sure no one was around, then continued. "I told my secret to a new friend, Melanie. I'm starting to regret it, though!" 

She stared at the table as if it would respond. She then zipped open her burgundy lunch bag and started to eat the salad she had packed. Delicious! she thought, taking a second bite from the plastic container. She stabbed her plastic fork at a tomato, but nearly dropped it when she saw people staring at her through the glass wall.

The boy to the far left with his eyebrows raised was Ryan. He was popular, but not as much as his crush, Tara Fut. Tara was very popular, with her "best friends," Tiffany and Candy Bloom. They were twins, Tiffany five minutes older.

The four were staring at Ella. Ryan and Candy looked shocked, but Tiffany and Tara made a face of disgust. Finally, Tara said something, but Ella couldn't hear. Tara's mouth opened and spread out, then came back together. It looked like she puckered her lips and then smiled. 

Even though Ella couldn't hear, she could tell they started laughing and then walked away. Ella looked down and nearly shouted. She felt angry. Disgusted. Annoyed. Ella had spilled her salad on her jeans. Ella took a moment to realize that when she stabbed the tomato, the container flipped on her.

Ella looked up to see the four walking away. Hmm, she thought. It's a big glass wall, so I might get caught. But if I use magic, it'll look like nothing ever happened! 

Ella smiled. She checked again to make sure no one was watching. Everyone was eating at different tables. Ella took a deep breath in. Here goes nothing.

Ella brought her pinkie and index finger towards each other. She then waved her hand at the salad, straightening out her hand. The wind whistled. Ella held her breath, checking to see if no one was looking. No one stared. When she looked back, the salad was gone. And a new one was in it'splace, except on the table. 

Ella ate happily for the rest of the lunch period. But after that, in the hall, Melanie ran up to her. She had tears building up in her eyes, ready to blow.

"Ella, Ella!" she whimpered in her quiet voice. Tears started to spill. "I told! I told! This nice lady was asking where my dad was. I had to tell! I had to!" Melanie was now crying.

Ella smiled for a few second, thinking everything was all right, but froze in terror when she realized something. "Do you know the name of this lady?" Ella asked.

Melanie paused her bawling. "I think it was..." she said, pausing to think. "Ms. Month."