prologue

"Ella!" a voice shouted.

Ella didn't respond.

"Ella!" the voice repeated.

Ella stayed in bed.

"Marvella! Get down here! We're shopping for back to school outfits today!" the voice yelled.

Ella groaned and opened her eyes. She checked her alarm clock that read, Saturday 9:06AM. Sleepily rolling out of bed, Ella walked downstairs. She entered the small kitchen to get some breakfast.

"Ella! It's nine o'clock! Why did you sleep in so late?" the voice asked from behind her. Ella turned around and noticed her short and skinny mum standing with a stern look on her face.

It's only nine?! Ella thought to herself.

"I'm sorry, Mum. I forgot about today," Ella confessed.

"Just hurry up so we can go," her mum replied. "Oh and could you please grab the post, Ella? Your father forgot to," she added before she began to make coffee.

Ella rolled her eyes as she walked out into the hallway leading to the stairway. With a tone of boredom in her voice, she answered, "Sure."

"Thanks, honey," her mum responded.

Ella whispered to herself, "Why don't you go get it since it's all for you anyways? I don't get post because I don't have any friends anyways!"

Ella turned around herself and grabbed the post from the doorway. Sauntering back to the kitchen where her mum was watching the news, Ella dropped the envelopes in front of her mum.

While Ella began to hurry upstairs, her mum, Rose, looked through the mail. "That's for Draven, Draven . . ."

On the way up the stairs, Ella bumped into her dad who was dressed for work. "You have work today?" Ella inquired. "I thought it was Saturday."

Ella's dad, Draven, sighed. "Yep. I do. Sorry, Ellie."

"It's okay. It's not your fault anyway," Ella dismissed. Ella hugged her dad and said, "Love you."

"Love you too, Ella. See you later!" her dad answered while he jogged down the stairs.

Once Ella made it to the door of her bedroom, she heard her mum call, "Ella!"

"Oh gosh. Not again," Ella groaned as she fled back downstairs.

Downstairs, Ella's mum was smiling. "You have some mail," her mum informed Ella.

Excited, Ella snatched the envelope from her mum's hands and looked at the front.

Miss M. Adara
The Upstairs Bedroom
76 Myers Road
Dalton
Lancaster

On the back of the envelope, it was sealed with a wax seal with a snake, an eagle, a badger, and a lion surrounding the letter H.

Anxiously, Ella opened it found two letters written in emerald green ink, along with a ticket. Ella pulled out one out which read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
~
Headmaster: Album Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Adara,
     We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. If you visit the Leaky Cauldron in London, you will find everything you need.
     Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress

Ella screamed with delight. A magic school? She was going to learn magic tricks and be able to get everything she wanted!

"What's wrong, Ella?" her mum asked with a concerned and nervous look on her face.

Ella shoved the letter into her mum's face and grabbed the other letter.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
~

uniform
First-year students will require:
     1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
     2. One plain pointed hat (black) for everyday wear
     3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
     4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

course books
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
     The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
     A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
     Magical Theory by Adapter Waffling
     A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emerica Switch
     One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllis Spore
     Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenic Jigger
     Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
     The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

other equipment
     1 wand
     1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
     1 set glass or crystal phials
     1 telescope
     1 set brass scales
Students may also bring and owl OR cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

Ella still couldn't believe it. Apparently, neither could her mum. Squealing, her mum exclaimed, "We have a witch in the family! Ella, call your father and we can all celebrate tonight!"

Calling her dad from the house phone, Ella did not know how much her life was going to change from the moment she stepped on Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

a/n: I am American and I'm trying to keep the phrases like it would be in Europe, so if you see any wrong phrases or words, feel free to comment it and I will fix it. By the way, if you do comment something that I didn't do right, don't feel bad because I really want to know what I did wrong and I'm kind of a grammar nazi anyways.

ALSO: yeah I also know that technically a witch or a wizard is supposed to come and tell a Muggleborn about their magical abilities, but this was what I wrote a while ago