Introduction

Bethan rode the train all of the way home, arriving home and bracing herself when she opened the door to the small house she shared with her father. “Bethan, is that you?” his gruff voice called out, his words slurring. She sighed and hung up her purse, sliding off her black Hoodie.

“Yeah Dad, Tony, it’s me,” she mumbled. She could detect the strong scent of whiskey in the air and she sighed, stumbling into the living room in a black tank top and ripped black skinny jeans. Her waved caramel hair fell in light waves around her face, framing her cheek bones.

Her scarlet lips pursed, seeing the bottles of alcohol scattered all over. “Bethan,” her father said, stumbling to his feet. Tony reached out for her, and she wrinkled her nose, slapping his hand away. His nostrils flared in anger and he reached out for her, his shaking hands tightening around her shoulders and banging her against the wall.

She cried out in pain as her scalp slid across the rough surface and she felt blood well to the surface. Bethan clenched her teeth, attempting not to yelp.

“Don’t you dare hit me again, you nuisance,” Tony growled against Bethan’s ear, blowing stinking breath into her face. She recoiled, squeezing her eyes shut.

“Or I’ll make you pay for it,” he added, striking her harshly against the cheek. Her flesh stung and became red within a matter of seconds. Her eyes became wet, but she kept them closed.

“You already do,” she blurted out in rage. Her eyes opened just in time to feel herself thrown to the ground and her father kneed her in the chest in rage.

“Don’t speak to your father with that disrespect!” he screamed, pounding on her chest again and again. She gasped for breath, the hot salty tears leaking down her cheeks.

The screaming stopped, but Bethan refused to open her eyes. She curled up into a tight ball on the floor, pulling her knees against her chest and shivering, her eyes never opening. She sobbed quietly to herself, balling her fists. I don’t deserve to be treated this way.

She heard the gentle snores of her father, but she didn’t dare get up. Instead she reached for a blanket and pulled it over herself, falling asleep on the cold marble floor.