Chapter One

So this is more of a recap of the village on the lake episode back in Book Three (Season Three, Episode Three) and as a note, most of the dialogue is from the episode. I just put what they had in the episode into writing. I own none of the characters in this fanfiction.

<+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+>

The entire Gaang was resting on Appa, who was swimming through a wide river as a break from flying. Aang was in the water, goofing off with Momo. Toph was lying down on Appa's back in the saddle, and Sokka and Katara were looking over our plan for attacking the fire nation.

        "Alright," Sokka said, a serious expression gracing his features. "We have exactly two weeks before we reach the fire nation. I have everything planned out here." He pulled out another sheet of paper with a schedule on it, a big smile now plastered on his face. Katara shook her head at her brother's enthusiasm but couldn't help smiling along with him. He's so determined to take them out, even though it's Aang that'll be doing most of the work.

        "Now," Sokka continued, "Sozin's comet is in two weeks as well. We'll have to be ready once we arrive in town."

        Before he could continue explaining the game plan, she heard Aang laughing next to them, still in the water with Momo sitting on top of his head. As the pair of siblings looked over the edge, though, the laughing stopped abruptly, and Aang launched himself back into the saddle. "Guys," he said, looking down at himself. He was covered in some sort of gunk which he immediately blew off himself, covering the rest of them. "I think the river's polluted."

        Sokka held up his fishing pole, now giving the rod a skeptical glance. "I'd get us some fish, but that would be useless here. But, I mean, normally my fishing skills are off the hook!" He started lauhging as he poked he hook of his fishing rod. "Get it? A fishing hook?"

        Katara and Aang were silent as Toph scoffed. "Too bad your jokes aren't on the hook."

        The rest of the time finding a good place to get back onto land was spent listening to Sokka and Toph bickering. It was something Katara was used to, so it was easy to block out their voices. Aang was looking to the left, sitting on Appa's head, and she pointed to a good, dry spot to her right. "Aang, look! There's a good spot of land over there!"        

        Aang looked to where she was pointing. "You're right." He directed Appa to a hidden spot of dry land and when everyone got off of the flying bison's back, he and Toph earthbended the dirt and muck out of Appa's fur while Katara separated the water from it, salvaging it for later. When they had finished, Katara suggested going into town; there was a place she saw not far from where they were staying, and they needed to pick up some food for that night. Aang covered Appa in a coat of green grass which made him look like a giant hill with horns.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The four of them ended up on a boat with a guy named Dock. He had greying hair and a slight potbelly, but seeing as how the rest of him was stick-thin, Katara assumed his stomach was bloated from lack of nutrition. Without looking away from the village covered by mist, the boatman asked, "So, where are you guys from?"

        By instinct, Katara was about to mention the Southern Water Tribe but stopped herself before anything left her mouth. "We're from the Earth Kingdom colonies."

        "Oh, colonials!" he said excitedly. "We don't get many visits around here anymore."

        Clearing my throat, she looked up at Dock. "Speaking of that, why is the water around here so..."