Sam Smith: In The Lonely Hour

For samlovesausage

Sam's POV

I tapped my pencil on my knee. With each thump, I was trying to get a rhythm for my "new" song. Even though I knew no one would hear it, I still was trying to be a perfectionist. I had written a chorus to my song the day before, but I didn't know what to use to compliment it. All I knew was that there was really nothing to compliment loneliness. I had lived with it for so long that I knew. I had tried chocolate, a dog, one night stands, and still I felt like there was a huge whole inside me.

I looked out the big white window of my flat. I watched as blue birds flew through the crystal blue sky. There were times that I wished I could just fly away. Far away. London was noisy, but today it was silent. 

"A wishful silence." I said out loud to myself, as I wrote down in my book.

I began to write again. Suddenly, my phone started to ring. I picked it up. It was my mother. I loved to talk to her, but I was not in the mood. I swipe the red decline button on my phone. I felt bad, but I knew my mom would understand. She probably was worried sick about me. I hadn't spoken to any of my family members in a total of three weeks. I truly wanted to but I knew they would bombard me with questions that I didn't want to answer.

I got up off my couch and walked into my kitchen. I grabbed a water bottle out of my fridge and walked over to my front door. I hesitantly put my hand on the door nob. I hadn't walked outside my flat for over 2 months. I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought I was dead.But then again, I didn't think anyone thought about me. I knew my mom did, but that's what all moms are supposed to do. My sisters only thought about me when they needed to borrow some money. As for my dad, I felt like he didn't even know me. After the divorce, he had avoided me and my sisters, only coming over to celebrate Christmas. Finding out that I was Gay didn't help either. He started deliberately avoiding me. He would tell my mom that he said 'Hello', but he would never tell me to my face.

I rested my head on my wooden door and sighed. I was tired of being depressed and lonely. I just wanted to be happy for once. There were times I was happy, but they would only come with sex, food, and alcohol. It wouldn't last. Lately I had been extra depressed. I had fallen in love with one of my male friends. The problem was that he was straight and married. Every time we were together, he seemed to be hitting on me. I had convinced myself that we were in a relationship.

I finished turning the doorknob and I walked out the door. I was hit in the face with rays of sun. I put my hand up over my eyes to shield myself from the rays. i felt like I was in a vampire movie. I walked down the hallway of my apartment complex, finally ending by the elevators. I was on the fourth floor, so in order for me to make it to the lobby, I had to go down three floors. 

As I stood in the elevator alone, I rested my head on the cold medal of the side. I listened to the typical elevator music. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine a happy place, filled with people who cared for me. I was interrupted by a ding that let me know I had arrived on my desired floor. I watched as the doors to the elevator slid carefully open. My eyes were on a black desk as I walked out of the elevator. 

I waved hello to the person behind the front desk and I proceeded to walk out the main door. All of a sudden, I was stopped.

"Sir! Wait! Are you a Mr. Sam Smith?" The front desk woman said. She held a phone up to hear right ear.

"Yes." I said hesitantly. I proceeded to make my way over to the desk.

"Ok, I'll tell him, he is coming over right now" she said into the phone.

"Here you go sir. It's a Mr. Jimmy Napes on the phone." She said to me, handing me the phone.

"Uh, yeah, hello this is Sam." I said slowly.

"Hey Sam! This is Jimmy Napes, from the writing and producing company you spoke with yesterday. Look, I let these two guys, by the name of Disclosure, listen to your demo yesterday and they LOVED it! They are demanding that you come to the studio, and record with them. So what do you say?" Jimmy paused.

"I say YES! Hell Yes! I'm doing it!" I said. I practically was jumping up and down at the counter.

"OK Then! So I'm gonna need you here in like an hour. Is that good?" Jimmy responded.

"Yeah." I looked up at the clock and then remembered my crappy job."Damn it! I can't today, I have work. I'm at the bar across the street from the studio. Do you think you could get these two guys to come over?I could serve them some drinks for free and then I could sneak out to go record." I suggested.

"That sounds like a bloody great idea Sam! Let's do it!" Jimmy yelled of excitement through the phone.

"OK! I'll see you then!" I hung the phone back up and rushed out the front door. 

I caught the bus, which took me straight into London. As I sat on the bus during the ride, I couldn't help but think about my current life. I was finally getting a chance at actually making it in the music industry. It was my time to shine. I looked out the window and smiled. 

This was it....

.......................................................................................

Hey Guys!

              So how did you like that little short? It was suggested by samlovesausage a while back, but I still managed to make it. Let me know in the comments below if you want  me to do a sequel. Also, make sure you vote and share this story with a friend. If you haven't already, go check out my book "In The Night:Sam Smith Fanfiction" and start voting and sharing that.

                      Love,

                                    Paige <3 <3 <3