Chapter Three

A day had passed since the secret meeting in the Calisan Mountains, with no word from King Evander. Her place in this war was uncertain. Though she looked forward to aiding the people of Wakefin, Rythern didn't have the military force it once had.

Haven was sure the Eris-Wakefin attack had already begun, but still she received no letter on how things were going. Their plan was simple. When Kadia's army attacked the capital city of Dessa, Alton's soldiers would lie in wait, blindsiding Kadia's from the rear. While the attack took place, King Evander would usher refugees from Wakefin into his own kingdom of Calisa, and through to Rythern.

While all of this took place Haven was stuck with her advisers doing paperwork. Much to her dismay, this seemed to be about eighty percent of a Queen's duties. She was to read and sign papers, decreeing this and disallowing that. It was all rather boring, but it kept her guards happy. Here in the castle she was safe. With the assassin gone and her coronation over, she could set her sights on the future of Rythern. Once she was done signing, of course.

"Your brothers were only keen on going into battle because they were reckless boys, My Queen," Toma answered simply, his brows pulling together like a disapproving caterpillar.

"At this moment battle sounds much more attractive, Toma."

"You mustn't say such a thing, Lady Queen. War is never a pleasant thing to wish upon the kingdoms."

Haven paused, staring blankly at the page before her. Stacks of parchment sat on her desk, while many men sat around her at desks of their own. They mostly ignored her conversations with Toma, scribbling decrees as quickly as their fingers would allow. She had to wonder what they were always writing about so furiously.

"I don't wish war upon the kingdoms. I suppose paperwork does still help Rythern, does it not?" She sincerely hoped it did.

"Of course, Lady Queen." Toma smiled to assure her. He paused a few more moments while she finished her current work. The only reason Toma ever held his tongue was when he was about to ask something she might not approve of.

"Have you said your goodbyes to Prince Emeril, My Lady?"

Haven paused her reading and turned her gaze on her adviser. Her parents had always pushed a Prince of Salander-Princess of Rythern match upon her when she was young. In fact, it would have been a great pairing, bringing both of their families great honor, while keeping them both in a royal line. The match would mark a great union of countries, an alliance that could have bolstered the economies of both kingdoms.

Unfortunately it was not meant to be. As time went on, her parents and brothers perished at war, leaving her to be Queen. Haven's fist clenched around her quill. She pushed away the images of blood that remembering her parents conjured, and thought of Emeril. The young prince was the only heir to the Salander throne. Toma could not think it a responsible idea to push such a marriage on her after her coronation. Where would that leave her kingdom? Or Emeril's for that matter? His father surely had only a few years left, and was well past the age of siring more children. He hadn't even taken a new wife after Emeril's mother passed.

"Of course. We said our farewells this morning." Haven didn't look up from her paper, relaxing her hands and pretending to read on. "I'm sure the Prince has long since departed court."

"Perhaps," was all Toma added, returning to his own work.

At that moment, a loud rush of feet from the hall caught her attention. Haven and Toma exchanged looks before he slowly rose. Lareina, her guard today, pushed away from the wall, hand on the hilt of her sword. She positioned herself between Haven and the door, an act Haven was all too familiar with.