Chapter Five- By the Light of the Fire

Several moments passed as Margret found she grew too impatient to remain in one place. Out of utter desperation, she quickly moved past the vines and saw her husband pacing on the beach. The men he arrived with had large guns at their sides as they threw Beth's belongings she took before becoming shipwrecked and Margaret's box as well. Peering behind a large tree, she went to turn before feeling a hand upon her mouth, pulling her deeper into the jungle. Trying to break free, she swiftly kicked her legs back and forth and eventually bit the man's arm before she turned to see it had been Agrios. He had been bleeding out of his leg but stood as if nothing had changed from the last time she saw him.

"We must remain unseen...perhaps they will think me dead upon not finding me...Is there any place we can hide? Where they will not see us?"

He thought for a moment before nodding and pulling her through the jungle, dodging everything that attempted to slow them. Making it to the opposite side of the island near a cliff, he slid off of it before hanging onto a ledge.

"No. I can't make that! My fingers are not strong enough..." She said as she looked at her frail and slender fingers before hearing a rustling in the foliage behind her. He climbed back to the top before pulling her towards him as she was then placed on his back. "Do you trust me?"

She nodded quick before he descended down the cliff and down the loose rocks, nearly losing his footing once or twice before instructing Margaret to hold onto a set of large rocks that hung over a small indent in the mountain.

"I will catch you...but if I have you on me...we will both end up in the water..." She nodded, knowing she had only this option and Agrios was the one she trusted most. She watched close as he moved from the side of the indent and swung inside before placing his arms out.

"Move in the center and let go." He instructed as she hesitantly took a breath before letting go and finding she was in his arms. Her eyes opened to see his masculine expression offering a kind smile. His face bore a new scar she had not seen before-one recently caused and bleeding.  Placing her sweetly upon the ground as her feet gently touched the cold stone, he moved further into the darkness before pulling a light and then matches she had given him to use to make fire in the night as she discovered he slept in the freezing cold for the past fifteen years or so. She moved towards him before moving close into the fire as she caught his gaze to fall onto her.

"How long have you known of this place?"

"I found it just before you arrived. If the weather is too harsh, I take..." He paused, searching for the word.

"Refuge?"

He nodded. "Sounds right." He smirked.

"I am very impressed on how far you have come with your speech. You are an incredibly fast learner..."

"Thank you."

Her gaze fell to the fire before she saw that his foot was covered in his blood from the gun shot.

"Did he do this to you?"

He nodded. "It does not hurt much. My father always said I had skin like steel."

"I would have cried similar to a child if I would be merely grazed...it is impressive of your strength...."

He blushed as she acted as if she had not seen it. Instead, she gently analyzed the wound before seeing the bullet was still lodged in deep as aggravated tissue wrapped around it, nearly hiding the firearm's pellet.

"We must get it out as soon as possible...You could gain infection which could make you ill..and frankly...without you...I would be as good as dead-"