Defining Insanity

The definition of insanity in the common dictionary leads one to flip through a number of pages, only to end up at the word psychosis.

Psychosis (n.) a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.

I must say, that for once in the history of the world, the dictionary is wrong. I am not delusional nor do I have hallucinations. I am a perfectly rational person with a perfectly rational perspective of “reality”. Then why, I ask you, am I stuck here in this dank holding cell. I ask you why, my dear friends, why am I about to be led through a pair of glass doors into a world of white? Why am I, such an obviously logical human being, heading towards a place of no return? If you know, I beg you to tell me. I will even get on my knees and grovel for this measly pinch of information, if it comes to that.

Oh, and what is this? Is that silence that greets my ears? Surely, it is not, for that would mean that I have been forsaken by my very listeners.

            It seems as though, wonderful audience, that no one here can answer my questions. And why is that? Are you afraid; afraid to look a murderer in the eye and tell him that he is psychotic? Are you afraid that I might snap and, with a single switch of a blade, end your lovely little lives? Well, my captives, are you? Are you so selfishly wrapped up in your own world, that you cannot spare a thought to mine?

            I thought as much. Too cowardly to face a man in his time of need, too cold-hearted to take a second-glance at the doomed prisoner. You lot disgust me. You go about your business every day, calling yourselves names like ‘Superintendent’ or ‘Manager’, not once letting the downfall of others cross your minds. It is people like you who truly bring humanity down, stepping on others to gain power, trampling dreams to gain your own. The big-wigs of society, so high and mighty on your horse, a horde of men and women hanging off your every word; you hold no real power.

            Power does not come in larger office spaces and shiny desk nameplates. Power is not a promotion or a raise. Power, my pets, is control. I of all people should know this. I, out of any in my position, should hold fast to this. After all, isn’t holding someone’s life in your hands, the ultimate control?

That, my lovelies, is true power.