Oh Ophelia-1

The air was so crisp here, hidden away from those who disrespected the earth and the hospitality it gave us, that it gave to any living being. We do not deserve her, the earth. I inhaled deeply, grateful to the Fates for sending me to my parents, for putting me in the most beautiful pack I had ever seen. Well, frankly this was the only pack I had ever seen, but that didn't stop me from capturing its beauty.

I heard footsteps on the path several feet behind me, knowing who it was I stayed in my place. Standing at the opening of trees, looking just over the edge. The rocks below my feet were placed in such a way they could lead a fool completely off the side of the cliff, falling to their death into the river far, far below. I smiled at the humor of Mother Nature, who seemed to do these things on purpose. She lived by the rule of "survival of the fittest" I suppose.

"Hey Eve." Grayson said, smiling as he approached me. The light of the sun slowly encompassed his features as he came to stand next to me, looking out over the land.

"You're slow." I smiled as I turned to him. He returned the grin.

"I like to let you have your moments, talking to 'Mother Nature.'" He used finger air quotes as he said her name.

I pressed my brows together in response, knowing exactly the punishment he would get for speaking of her in such a manner. "Maybe somebody's just grumpy I wouldn't let him run around like a savage beast." I retorted, sticking my tongue out at him.

He rolled his eyes playfully, turning to resume the trail. "You know me too well, Evie."

This was true, I did, I do. But as we grew I started to feel uneasy, noticing the lessening of time spent together, the lessening of secrets we shared. It wasn't as easy as when we were children. Now we had responsibilities, expectations to uphold.

"You know Gray," I began, walking side by side with him now, dragging my feet as we both took in our surroundings. I watched how the leaves above me swayed, watched birds jump from limb to limb, calling for each other. They weren't as scared of us in this form, it seemed as in the other they would fly as far away as they could get as soon as they could sense us. "I'm kinda not diggin' this whole responsibilities thing."

I looked at him, taking in his features. The features I had watched turn from that of a pre-pubescent ten year old, into that of a man soon to be fit to lead. He frowned, his eyes remained light though as he spoke to me. His eyes matched the dirt below our feet, they had always been my favorite things about him. He was so easy to read, I loved that about him. "I miss playing with you in the yard Gray, getting too close to where your Papa couldn't see you. That was practically the only time I saw the man get out of his chair." I giggled, recalling fond memories of the man, and who he once was. Gray smiled, looking over at me. I saw the pain behind his eyes, remembering the loss.

"He was quite the man wasn't he?" It was more of a statement than a question. I just smiled sweetly back at him, telling him all he needed. Telling him I missed him too. "I'm not sure how I can fill his shoes Evie." I stopped suddenly. Needing to me still to think of how to properly comfort him. This came up occasionally. I knew it would never not be a thought in his mind.

"Hey," I said, reaching for his cheek. He turned, dismissing me. The rejection stung, but I knew it wasn't about me. The distance between us was starting to feel purposeful though. Grayson had seemed to be drifting away from me, more and more every day. I frowned. "You're just like him Gray. I see him in you every day, you're definitely taking the role of the old man part." I tried to use humor to cover up the sting. We resumed walking, the trail almtGrayson was the most important person in the world to me. He had been since we were kids. Our parents had pushed us together. We were ten, but it seemed our friendship was already giving people an impression. One that my parents were especially pleased with.

Grayson was the son of the Alpha, the next in line. My parents had raised me and my sister until I was ten, her eight, outside of pack life. One day something in them clicked, and they immediately packed up all of our belongings and returned to the pack that they once were a part of. It was a difficult transition, one many of the pack were cautious of. They wanted to know why we ever left in the first place, and for that I was not sure.

Grayson and I had gotten along since the day we arrived. We had many things in common and I suppose that our bond had benefited me in our transition back to pack life. He favored me, so much so that his family couldn't do anything other than love me either. I practically lived at their house. I spent most of my time there for years. My little sister would sometimes tag along as well, finding friendship in Gray's sister, who was just a year younger. We had been inseparable for years, but now it seemed like I had to force him to hang out with me.

"Grayson I've been-" We entered the clearing to his backyard as Ophelia came running walking towards us along with Aria beside her. Not wanting to talk about this in front of them I stopped talking, waiting for us to meet up with them. Knowing they came to talk to us. For wolves, those two barely spent any time outdoors. They were constantly wreaking havoc in the house, driving Grayson and Ophelia's mother up the walls.

"Hey sissa!" Aria used the name for me she had used since we were children. I adored it, and her to be honest. If I had to make a list of my best friends, she would be second behind Grayson, but she was slowly making her way to the top.

"Hey love." I smiled back. She read my eyes though, which told a story that she had heard a million times. The story of me coming home complaining to her about how Grayson and I seemed like we would never be the same. This seemed to be the only topic she couldn't help with. Every time I would bring it up she seemed very uncomfortable, never knowing what to say and trying to change the topic. This was very unlike her. Aria could never shut up. She also never typically shied away from difficult conversations, Grayson and I, seemed to be the only thing she had no input on. "Ophelia." I acknowledged the girl with a smile as we met in the middle, standing in front of each other.

"Mom said she wants to speak with you guys. Something about having visitors soon?"

The excitement shone on her face. Aria and Ophelia loved having visitors. They acted like it was their only contact with the outside world. Grayson's mother, the Luna, usually waited until the last minute to tell them. Otherwise they would literally have to lock them in Ophelia's room to keep them from running down the road trying to meet the guests halfway through their trip.

Last time we had guests Aria and Ophelia both took 7 showers, convinced they needed to wash any other smell of their bodies to make sure their mate could smell them from miles away. The pack house had no hot water for 3 days!

My ears perked as I looked to Grayson, he had failed to mention we were expecting guests. I knew he must had been informed at least a week ago, as the next in line to be Alpha he was expected to know everything that had to do with the pack. Unless it was a surprise visit I suppose.

He looked back at me, equally as confused. I shrugged, curiosity on my face as we headed toward the house. Ophelia and Aria made small talk with us as we walked back to the house, Grayson and I didn't really have to say much though as they were capable of carrying the conversation on for all of us. We entered through the sliding door on the back porch. As soon as our feet touched inside the house his mother rushed to us. Her face frantic. The woman was often excitable but this time it seemed different. She ran up to us, grabbing Grayson by the shoulders.

Out of breath she managed to speak. "The King is coming."