chapter 1

june 28th 2015

today is the day that we begin our 4th of July beach trip. we go on the trip every year, my family and I. today is Sunday and we don't come home until Wednesday, July 8th. longer than usual but I'm okay with it considering I love getting away from my small town.

I live in a small town in Kentucky called Bluebell. everybody knows one another which is good and bad. let's just say I haven't had the easiest life. my dad hasn't been the greatest person in my life. but that's another story for another day.

everybody in this town knows what happened to me, so therefore everyone that's my age judges me. it got to the point in 5th grade where I decided to be homeschooled. the bullying got to me and that was the only other option at that point. I still see the people everyday cause of the small town, but not nearly as much as if I went to school.

I just finished packing my bag. I have all the necessary things that I'm going to need for the week and a half. right now I'm laying on my bed going through social media and texting my friend, Rose.

she's the only friend I have, she's also homeschooled and doesn't have much to do with being social. we spend almost every weekend with each other so I was obviously going to miss her. I'm also listening to music, it's my escape.

nobody really gets me, I pretend to be happy. putting a smile on my face in public, but the only time that I'm really happy is when I'm with my siblings or Rose.

my brother, Chuck. and sisters, Landon and Nora are really the only people that can make me smile. everyone else tries but it doesn't usually work, or they think it does cause I fake a smile but as always, it's fake.

the beach is my escape. away from everyone that knows my secrets and to a peaceful place where I can sit on the beach for hours and read. I also like to have fun as in swimming, and going on the pier at night but I love to read as well.

"Addison!" my mother yells to me. I hate when she calls me that. I prefer Addy. short and simple.

"what?" I yell back. "and don't call me Addison! I prefer Addy" I groan.

"we're leaving soon! come put your bags in the car!" she yells as an answer. I get off my bed saying goodbye as I would miss it while I was gone, pick up my bags and carry them out the front door of my house and to the car.

when I get to the car my step dad, Chad, is standing next to the car to help me put my bags in. Chad is the closest thing I have to a father and he's always been there. unlike my real dad. so I've always appreciated him for that. and I did love him, but we have this game, and if I'm nice to him I lose. my mom says we act like brother and sister cause of the way we are towards one another. she's probably right in all honesty.

"ready for the best beach trip ever to be experienced in your life?" he yells happily.

"sure" I reply dryly knowing damn well I was probably too excited for this trip. I wanted to leave this hell of a town even if it was only for a week.

"ya know, you could say I'm the best step dad ever cause we all know I am" he smirks. damn that smirk to hell.

"I don't have anybody to compare you to, so therefore I can't give you an answer"

"well that automatically makes me the best step dad ever" he says with a smile.

"uh huh"