Boarding [2014]

Word Count: 665

We ran towards the railroad tracks bundled up in our big fur coats. My mother clutched tightly onto our three tickets to freedom, one for her, one for my grandpa, and one for me. We reached the deserted  train station, the thick metal tracks covered by a thick layer of ice. My mom hugged me and looked over at my grandpa, "Wha... What if they already left.." She said with clattering teeth. A pearly white cloud of vapor escaping her bright red chapped lips as she spoke. They began their usual bickering. My mind wandered off, thinking back to all that had happened in the past few days. My twelfth birthday, our solution to fix global warming hilariously backfiring, and the death of my father. It has only been two days... Two days...

The ground started shaking and a big metal train covered in frost could be seen coming our way. The train came to a halt at the very first section. The door opened up and a man in a suit stepped out. My grandpa attempted to hand the tickets to the man but he simply smiled and said, "My dear Gilliam, there are no need for those, there is plenty of room for you three come, come." He started to walk inside and my Grandpa Gilliam followed. Before the doors shut I looked outside and memorized my surrounding, my final memory of the frozen tundra of a small British town that used to be home, before the ice cold metal door slammed in my face.

The man in the suit put a hand on Gilliams shoulder and said, "Now listen here..." They walked further and further from my mom and I which made it hard to make out what they were saying. After a good five minutes the Gilliam walked back and wrapped his arms around our shoulders leading us to yet another door. The guards followed closely behind as Gilliam whispered something into my moms ear. She suddenly stood up straight and said, "No, no. We were promised a spot in the front! He can't do that!" She broke free of my Grandpa's tight grip ran past the guards and to the man in the suit.

He squeezed me closer as he watched the two talk. Then, he gave a signal for the guards to keep moving. I looked back at my mother who smiled sorrowfully as the doors slid shut.

That was the last time I would see her.

• • •

After walking through many sections of the train we got to the "tail section". Gilliam kept me close as we walked past large groups of people wearing dirty clothes and glaring at us. The guard in front of us draped a curtain back revealing a small room with a small mattress in the corner along with a pillow and a blanket. The guard started pointing around the room with his gun, "You will sleep in this room." He pointed at my Gilliam then to the mattress. He then walked out of the room and mentioned us to follow. "And you, little girl." He pointed at me as we approached a bunk, "Will sleep here." He tapped on the bunk with his gun. Gilliam's hand clasped into mine, "Please sir, can't her bed be any closer to my room?" The guard glared at Gilliam and said, "You should be grateful you old hag, Wilford has given you plenty. If it were up to me I wouldn't of even let you lot on this fucking train." Gilliam's hand squeezed mine. The guard walked away and closed the doors. The silence was interrupted by a lady from behind us, "Don't you worry mister, I'll watch over her." We turned around to find a lady smiling at us. Her brown coiled locks pressed back with a light green headband. My Uncle nodded and leaned down, "You should get some rest. I'm going to explore a bit so how about you stay here with..." He looked over at the woman, who smiled softly and said, "Tanya." Gilliam smiled back at me and kissed my head. I watched as he disappeared into the crowd. Tanya sat down on a bed and asked, "So hon, what's your name?"

"Dakota. Dakota Malato."