t r e n t e - e t - u n

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: LOVE THE WAY YOU LIE - EMINEM FT RIHANNA

Maybe our relationship isn't as crazy as it seems

Maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano

All I know is I love you too much to walk away though

chassant la queue du diable

Elijah lays on his bed in the compound, still asleep as he was when he was rescued. He's breathing erratically, covered in a thin sheen of sweat, and his muscles are tense, as though he's being overwhelmed by fear. Klaus stands over him and talks to him, his voice echoing through Elijah's head. "I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice."

Elijah twitches anxiously in his sleep. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in."

Klaus puts one hand on his head, and one hand on his chest, hoping to gain entry into Elijah's mind. Elijah's body goes rigid as though he's been shocked and Elijah's muscles begin to seize and spasm painfully. "Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you."

Klaus' nose begins to bleed, and he gets glimpses of the dreams Elijah has been having. Klaus groans in pain as he continues to try to break through, but he's quickly ripped off of Elijah by Marie. "What are you doing?"

Klaus, startled, pants in an attempt to catch his breath as he wipes the blood from his nose. "I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him." He gestures to Elijah, who is still sleeping fitfully. "Esther's locked me out."

Marie walks over to Elijah, noticing a flower petal-shaped wound on his neck. "Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?"

Klaus frowns and returns to Elijah's bedside to examine the wound more carefully. "I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant."

He turns to Marie, looking hopeful. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here and mind the fort."

"I'd rather rip your mother's head off." Marie growls and rolls her eyes.

"Stay clear of her. I mean it, Marie. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness? I'd rather live to see tomorrow thank you very much." Klaus says and kisses Marie's forehead.

"I won't go after her. I promise." Marie says softly. Klaus looks at her for a moment before turning and leaving. Marie turns back toward Elijah and approaches the bed to talk to him. "I've learned a few things from your mother. I won't go after her. I'll go after everything that she loves."

Marie, Hayley and Aiden have arrived to Marcel's apartment to come up with a plan. "Where is your Alpha?"

"Unavailable" Hayley mutters.

"So, you brought Junior Varsity? You know, I'm getting a little tired of you using my place as a den for wayward wolves." Marcel remarked, unimpressed.