Chapter 2

Cas sighed to himself as the palace came into his line of sight. He looked out to the meadow where him and Dean used to play together. He felt a soft tug at his heart as he saw new children playing out in the meadow. He smiled softly and hoped that maybe they would have a nicer ending to their lives. He turned his attention back to spotting all the changes that had happened in the last few years.

Castiel soon reached the royal cemetery where he set flowers on a couple graves, three of his siblings who had fallen ill and died while he was gone, his parents, and Dean's parents. Once he was done paying his respects and reminiscing on old memories, he climbed back onto his horse and rode to the palace entrance.

He was immediately stopped at the door by the guards but they let him through when he told them who he was.

He walked into the large gates and tied up his horse in the barn, pausing when he saw two children in the yard. One was obviously Sam, He was 13 now but it was painfully obvious that it was him. The other child though... The little girl had to have only been 3 years old. She... oh...

Castiel's eyes flickered to the ground when he realized that she looked like the perfect mix between Dean and Lana (though, she did look more like Lana)

Sam looked up, noticing the male standing near them. He cocked his head before letting out a gasp "Castiel!" He exclaimed, getting up and hurrying over to him. Cas blinked in surprise as the boy hugged him tightly around the middle "I missed you! You were gone so long!" Cas blushed lightly as he patted Sam's head, not knowing what else to do.

The front door to the palace opened and Lana stepped out holding a 1 or 2 year old boy. Castiel also noticed that she looked like she may be pregnant too. Cas grimaced at the thought of Dean and Lana having sex at least three times.

She smiled as the little girl ran up the steps and hugged her. Castiel saw Lana murmur something to the girl. The little brunette girl pointed over in Cas and Sam's direction.

Cas looked down at Sam who was still hugging him before looking up at Lana who looked like she just lit up an entire fucking room. She turned and called something over her shoulder before looking back to Cas and waving enthusiastically.

Castiel sighed and awkwardly waved back as he saw his once best friend step out of the palace door. He frowned and called Sam in before shooing Lana and the kids inside. Lana pouted but did as Dean wanted. Cas sighed as he watched the four of them go inside. Dean closed the door behind them before storming down the steps and going over to Cas.

Cas bit his lip and looked at the ground. Dean growled and pushed him hard making Castiel stumble back. "Where were you?!" He yelled "Why didn't you send me a letter?! I asked one of my knights if you got time out of school and you know what he said?! He said that you do get breaks! Are you too good for your best friend now?!"

Cas took a step back, shocked by Dean's outburst. Cas cleared his throat and slowly shook his head.

Dean rolled his eyes "Castiel Novak, You know who helped get your family back on their feet after your siblings died?!" Cas bowed his head slightly but didn't say anything.

Dean narrowed his eyes at Castiel "I did, Castiel! I helped your family because you fell off the grid!" He shook his head "I hate you Cas. I hate how selfish you can be."

Cas hugged himself, swallowing down the urge to cry. He had been beating himself up about this for so long and it really hurt him to hear Dean saying these things to him. Dean's eyes slowly softened and suddenly he was surrounded in a warm embrace "I'm sorry, Cas... I didn't mean any of that I just..." He sighed "I'm sorry..."

Castiel slowly relaxed but didn't entirely accept the hug, pulling away as soon as he could. Cas took a step back and looked up at Dean "Those are your children...?" He asked quietly. Dean slowly nodded "Four..." he said quietly "Lana's midwife thinks that she's pregnant with twins..."

Cas looked away and nodded "Congratulations, Dean" He whispered. Dean cleared his throat "Did you find yourself a girl yet?" He asked hopefully, looking down at the slightly smaller boy.

Cas bit the inside of his cheek and shook his head "No. I made some new friends but no partners."

Dean nodded slowly before nudging him "Come on, I'm sure you're hungry. Let's go eat." Castiel nodded slowly and followed him into the palace, glancing around the new interior. It had been changed quite a bit since he left three years ago, probably Lana chose and brought things with her to decorate.

Castiel let out a slow breath "Your first born..." He said quietly. Dean glanced over at him and nodded "Yeah?" Cas coughed "She is three?"

Dean blushed darkly and nodded "she turned three a month ago" He mumbled, looking away.

Cas scoffed and raised his eyebrows "So she was pregnant when I saw her?" Dean nodded slowly once more "I'm surprised you didn't notice..." He said quietly. Cas sighed softly "Wow, Dean. You were complaining about me not visiting you and being selfish but what about you? You didn't even think of telling me she was pregnant, did you?"

Dean frowned deeply "I was planning on it but I was hoping to wait until we were married to tell anyone. Do you know how shameful it is to tell people your fiance is with child?" He shook his head "I may have been thrown out of my position as king."

Cas snorted and shook his head "I never thought of you as one to have sex before you're married." Dean frowned at the fact they were fighting again. He sighed and shook his head "Then you don't know me." He muttered bitterly.

Cas snorted just as bitterly and shook his head "I guess I don't."

Dean and Castiel stared at each other for a long moment. Dean took a small step closer to Cas. The smaller boy slowly took a step towards Dean as well. "Maybe we should get to know each other again, Cas" Dean whispered and the little brunette boy could have sworn he glanced at his lips.

Castiel swallowed hard and took a couple steps back "Look, your majesty. I was just hoping to get a job." He handed Dean his certificate saying he knew what he was doing as a knight. Dean looked at it for a long moment "So you're all certified, huh...?" He whispered. Castiel didn't answer as Dean slowly took the paper and checked it over before nodding "Come to work Monday. We'll set you up a room to stay in but for now you can stay in the local hotel. I'll pay for it." Castiel narrowed his eyes and shook his head "No. Thank you though, my lord."

He quietly took the certificate back from Dean as Lana came downstairs and looked between them with a smile, not noticing the tension between the two of them. "Oh, Castiel. Would you like to stay for dinner? We have more than enough!" She exclaimed, smiling warmly at the boys.

Cas shook his head "I must decline the offer your majesty. Knights do not sit at the King and Queen's table."

"Some knights do." Dean mumbled mostly to himself. Castiel glanced at him but didn't say anything. Castiel bowed slightly before saying his goodbyes and leaving.

Castiel really hoped that Dean would stop acting like this so Cas could try and go back to moving on.