Chapter 1

Katniss

"Thank you," I say. "You've all been wonderful. I haven't had a good crowd like you guys in a long time." I look around them and see someone in the back that catches my eyes. His blue eyes train on my own from beneath a mess of blonde curls. When he sees me looking, he raises his face as though in a challenge. I feel my breath catch in my throat and then shake my head to break his spell.

"This is gonna be my last song of the night, but I will be back next week ready with some more for you guys," I turn to the house drummer and nod as he counts off and I start playing the opening chords.

"Midnight, gettin' uptight, where are you?
You said you'd meet me, now it's quarter to two
I know I'm hangin' but I'm still wantin' you
Hey Jack, it's a fact they're talkin' in town
I turn my back and you're messin' around
I'm not really jealous, don't like lookin' like a clown
I think of you ev'ry night and day
You took my heart then you took my pride away

"I hate myself for loving you
Can't break free from the things that you do
I wanna walk but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you
Ow! Uh

"Daylight, spent the night without you
But I've been dreamin' 'bout the lovin' you do
I'm over being angry 'bout the hell you put me through
Hey, man, bet you can treat me right
You just don't know what you was missin' last night
I wanna see you begging, say forget it just for spite
I think of you ev'ry night and day
You took my heart and you took my pride away

"I hate myself for loving you
Can't break free from the the things that you do
I wanna walk but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you
Ow! Huh

"I think of you ev'ry night and day
You took my heart and you took my pride away

"I hate myself for loving you
Can't break free from the things that you do
I wanna walk but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you

"I hate myself for loving you
Can't break free from the the things that you do
I wanna walk but I run back to you
That's why I hate myself for loving you

"I hate myself for loving you
I hate myself for loving you
I hate myself
I hate myself for loving you"

The song ends and I make my way off stage to go collect my tips from the jar and my payment from the house. I pick up the jar and feel someone, or something, watching me. I turn, but see no one looking directly at me. I can't shake the feeling of eyes on me. I quickly collect my earnings and decide I'd rather go home than stick around with this feeling of being watched.

As I walk out under the moonlight, I feel the warmth and protection I always feel beneath the night's wing. The stars bright enough to stand out against the lights from the nearby buildings seem like guardians watching over me, keeping me safe.

I turn down a faintly lit alley and feel it again. The eyes on me. I turn around and see no one there. I feel a chill up my spine and I clutch my arms.

"Hello?" I ask, quietly. "Who are you? What do you want with me?" I feel a warm hand on my shoulder and I turn to see the man from the club. I try to scream but he slaps his hand across my mouth. He gently pushes me against a building.

"Shhh," he says. "I'm not going to hurt you, little one. But I'm gonna have to get you out of here. If you promise not to scream, I'll take my hand off your mouth." I nod my head quickly and he releases my mouth.

"Let go of me!" I squeal. "You can't just kidnap me. I'm a person."

"Katniss, it's not like that," he says.

"How, how'd you know my name?" I gasp. "I use a stage name."

"I know a lot of things," He says, "More about you than you know yourself."

"Who are you?" I ask, "Why have you been watching me?"

"The only way you'll ever find out is if you let me take you with me," he says, his voice low and soft. "I promise you with my life, no harm will come to you if I take you."

"Are you seriously asking me permission to kidnap me?" I ask.

"I guess," he says. "Not that you really have a choice. I'm taking you home with me. I just figured it'd be easier if I gave you the chance to come willingly, dulcis somnium." Now I took a year of Latin in high school and while I barely squeezed by with a C, I'm 99% sure he just called me sweet dream. This frightens the living crap out of me but I can't deny the little flutter in my chest at how it felt to hear his husky, calm voice direct those words to me.

"I don't know that I can willingly let a stranger just sneak up on me and take me away from everything I know," I say.

"Things'd be easier for both of us that way," he says. His eyes travel up and down my trembling form, like a predator judging where he wants to strike. "By the stars, you must have stolen your beauty from Venus herself." I swallow nervously and he smiles, revealing noticeably long canines.

"What are you?" I ask. His smile falls and he looks down. He sighs and his eyes turn back to me, this time more demanding.

"You don't need to worry about that now," he says gruffly. "Right now, I'm getting you out of here before someone notices us."

"Hold it, you aren't taking me anywhe-" I can't finish as he swings me over his shoulder and starts towards an old yet very well kept Dodge Challenger. I don't know why I don't start screaming or even struggle. It's as though without even trying, I've decided that nothing could possibly stop this man from taking me. He stands, walks, and speaks with an authority that isn't humanly possible. Something in my heart tells me that I'm meant to go with him.

But that doesn't stop the tears as he tosses me in the back seat and jumps in the driver seat, taking me farther and farther from my home with each rotation of the car's tires.