Storms and Shampoo

Ch. 46

NINETEEN—2nd year

My second year of school starts out with a lot less nerves than first year. I turn nineteen and Chris sends me a card. I hear nothing from Ian, but I get a notice that my subscription to the New Yorker is renewed. I know what to expect now and have found my place. The first year orientation takes over the campus, so I avoid it.

I email and text regularly with Chris and see him sometimes when he is in town, but that's not very often. Chris gives me little updates on Ian, but I try not to ask about him because it's still such a sore point between us. I know Ian is doing well, and that's all that matters. Chris is still with Samuel and they are thinking of getting married next year when they finish undergrad, although Chris still has more years of medical school ahead of him. It is so fantastic that he has found someone who is good for him, because he's such a happy person. Samuel is fanciful where Chris is practical, and they balance each other out. They have an apartment together and a whole life, with a great network of friends. I can't help but feel a little jealous, but I know he still loves me, too.

My mother has gotten serious with her boyfriend, Gord, sometimes staying at his house, sometimes staying here. It's fantastic to see her so vibrant and with someone who is as concerned about her as he is about himself. As a special treat, he is taking her on a vacation to Cuba in November. It's all expenses paid and they are going for a whole week. She's over the moon about it, and I can't say I blame her. I am taking care of the house for the week, but it should be fine.

Maggie's due date gets closer and I know that as soon as she's in labour, Andrea and Steve will be on the way. They are going to stay with Maggie and Marc to take care of Olivia while she has the baby. I have presents all ready (one for the baby and one for Olivia) and can't wait—I've dropped them off already, so they can just pack it in the car when they have to leave. I am so excited for my Goddaughter to have a little brother or sister.

Shortly after my mom and Gord leave for their trip, it starts to storm. The wind is howling and I am all alone in our empty house, the old windows rattling in their frames. I turn on music just to have some noise so I don't feel so alone, but I still have a bit of a chill. After an hour or so wrapped in blankets, I decide to take a shower.

The hot water is fantastic. I luxuriate in the stream of warmth cutting through my chill. I have swirls of steam surrounding me and the mirror fogs up. I take my time, shaving and scrubbing and just getting clean. Finally, I lather up my hair. There's a far off bang from somewhere, and everything stops. The water slows to a trickle and the lights are out completely. I am covered in soap, a head full of lather, and stuck in a dark house. Stepping out of the tub, soap drips into my eyes and now I'm also kind of blind. I grab my towels and robe and cover myself as best I can, but I'm not sure what to do. I wonder if it's just our house or if next door is out, too. Maybe if they have power, I can rinse off there? I fumble my way out to the hall and pick up the phone, dialling by memory.

"Hello?" A familiar voice answers.

Oh, God,"Ian?" My heart skips a beat.

"Grace?" he sounds surprised.

"Yeah, where's Andrea and Steve?"

"At Maggie's. I'm just here doing laundry, or at least I was."

"Shit, is the power out there, too?"

"Yep and the water, I think. Why?"

"I was in the shower. I have a head full of shampoo and now it's in my eyes, too. I was hoping I could rinse off there, but I guess not."

"Where's your mom?"

"In Cuba with Gord."

"Hang on, I'm coming over." Before I can protest, he hangs up the phone. I trip on my robe on the way down the stairs to unlock the front door, so now I'm soapy, blind, and I think bleeding.

"What did you do?" Ian asks, concerned, when he sees me coming in the door a few minutes later.

"I fell on the stairs, why, is it bad?" I'm aware of a tingling on my shin and I am sitting on the bottom step.

"I don't think so, but we should probably put something on it. Then I'm packing you some clothes and we're going to my place," Ian informs me.

I'm not sure I can be this close to him, I'm already feeling nervous. "Honestly, Ian, you don't need to go to so much trouble. I'll be fine."

Ian huffs, exasperated with me, "Grace, a transport truck hit a fire hydrant and power transformer. The water and power will be out for hours, until at least after the storm, and possibly for a couple of days. My place has power and water. You can at least rinse the shampoo out of your hair before you permanently blind yourself." I am shivering and the house isn't getting any warmer, so Ian's offer is probably the best idea.

"Okay," I agree, I'm mentally going through the contents of my room, trying to think if there's anything I don't want him to see.

"You stay down here and I'll go up and get your stuff. I don't want you falling down any more and it's pretty dark in here. Is there anything you really want me to get?"

"Just something warm." Ian turns on the flashlight on his phone and goes upstairs. I can hear him rooting around in my room, but I know there isn't anything that he probably hasn't seen before. There's a few newer pictures on the wall of Olivia and Xavier, and one from the twin's graduation, plus his pictures that he left me, but nothing incriminating.

After a few minutes he comes down clutching my duffle bag brimming with things. "I wasn't sure exactly what you needed, but I've got a bunch of stuff. Can you just put your coat on over your robe?"

"Yeah, I think so." I'm not sure why I didn't think of getting dressed, but my mind is muddled enough just from Ian being here. When I go to stand, I realize I'm still bleeding,"Oh, shoot, what about my leg?"

I stick it out at him from in my robe a bit flirtatiously, and he steps back for a second. "I'll grab a bandage, hang on." Ian grabs one from the first aid kit in the kitchen. "Grace, should I put it on?" His voice is full of concern.

"Sure, if it needs it."

Carefully, Ian kneels in front of me, and I place my foot on his leg so he can wrap my bleeding shin. "It's not too bad, is it okay if I bandage it?" I know he's asking if he can touch me, and although my heart is pounding, I nod. His fingers gently roll the bandage around my shin and I feel tingling all the way up my leg. My face flushes and my breathing quickens. It's ridiculous. I haven't even spoken to Ian in ages and he and I have both moved on, I know I'm just being silly.

"Are you okay, Grace?" he asks gently.

"Yep." I say solidly, trying to hide the turmoil broiling inside me.

Ian looks at me with his head cocked and a grin on his face, "Okay, lets get going before your hair is stuck like that."

I wrap my coat around me as best I can, shove my feet into a pair of sneakers, then I grab my purse and keys. Taking my arm in one hand and duffle bag in the other, Ian leads me out to his car. The wind is whipping at my coat and the trees are groaning with the strain of the wind. Ian opens the door for me and almost shoves me into the passenger seat, as the hinges creak.

The drive to his apartment is slow and we have to go around a bunch of downed trees to even get out of our neighbourhood. A drive that normally takes ten minutes takes almost three times as long. As we get closer to his apartment, the streetlights are on and it looks a lot more promising.