Prologue

A heavy mist flowed in the green grasslands that filled the clearing. A waterfall with a pool of rocks stood out from behind the pine trees that covered it. Four cats stood, looking into the pool. One of the cats did not appear as starry as the others. Perhaps he was not a StarClan cat. He dipped his paw into the crystal clear pool and created an image. A gray-and-ginger tom was seen catering to a sick elder, a kitting queen, and a wounded warrior. Nearby him was a yellow she-cat standing proudly on the hazel branch. The images slowly turned into shadows, and the background formed into a nursery. Two kits: a tom and a she-kit, were fast asleep. The she-cat's shadow showed above the she-kit, and the tom-cat's shadow showed above the tom-kit.

"Yes..." an old white tom spoke. The moonlight made his black markings shrink back. "I can see this now. Honeydrop just had two kits: Brightkit and Weedkit. Their destinies are already marked. Thank you, Tigerstripe."

"You are right, Birchpad," an orange-and-black tabby tom spoke. "The watcher will look over her Clan like the weeds she was fascinated with as a kit, while the bright flower blooms a remedy." 

Birchpad glared at the cat who stirred the image. "What are you doing, Coaltuft?" he hissed. "That's not how it's supposed to be!"

Coaltuft glared at Birchpad, Tigerstripe, and the other cats. "You're not paying attention to what happens next. The bright flower burns into a fire in the sky that shines bright like a star, and the watcher of weeds spots the true remedy."

"Mouse-dung. You came up with that," hissed a new voice. "Weedkit is to be Weedstar and Brightkit is to be Brightflower. It's their destiny. You can't change it."

"Maybe I can't, but it's not our job to tell these kits what they can and can't do." Coaltuft watched the puddle. It showed a number of images, representing the adventure of the two kits. There was adventure, friendship, and suffering.

"But this is their destiny!"

"You say it's their destiny. It's how you want to see them." Coaltuft circled the pool. "We've chosen cats' lives for them long enough, Eagle-eye. Can't we just stop, and just watch over them for a while?

Eagle-eye's golden irises burned into Coaltuft's pelt. His fur began to rise, and his claws were unsheathed. "Who says you were the leader of StarClan?"

"Well, you're not the leader either!" Coaltuft snarled.

"Eagle-eye, Coaltuft, please!" Birchpad hissed. "I can see the prophecy coming true. But I can also see fate being escaped. Whatever happens, we need to be happy with Brightkit and Weedkit. They'll acquire the highest positions in the Clan. It doesn't matter if either fate is escaped. They're creating themselves, and trying to find what's right. Maybe Brightkit will find himself as a medicine cat being the right thing. Maybe Weedkit doesn't want to be leader, and instead, simply a queen who can watch her kits grow."

"StarClan knows best!" Tigerstripe leapt to Eagle-eye's defense. "We decided the destiny. So this is what's going to happen. If Brightkit and Weedkit avoid their destinies, it's our duty to show them that they are wrong." As Tigerstripe narrated, the pool shifted again. Brightkit and Weedkit's initial shadows switched places once more, showing the escaping of fate. However, a large silhouette of a beast collapsed on them for switching destinies. It was a chilling sight, but nobody spoke once the pool turned black.

Coaltuft glared at Tigerstripe and Eagle-eye. "Fine... have it your way. But when you figure out that what you're doing is wrong, don't come to me for apologies."