01. The Lion, the Witch, and the Scar

chapter one
[The Lion, the Witch, and the Scar]

Draco's grey eyes stared out of the slowly-frosting window, his breath a cloud of fog as he let it out. He was quite cold, freezing, but he was used to it and didn't mind it so much as he would've two years prior. His already pale skin looked as white as parchment, and his lips were their usual chapped soft pink. Draco's mind wandered from the pile of Crabbe and Goyle's sweets that lay next to him, to the pouring rain outside, to the Potters and how he could taunt them this year.

The compartment door slid open with a thud, snapping Draco out of his thoughts. A witch with two raven-colored braids framing her fair face and freckled cheeks looked at him with bright green eyes, almost the color of Draco's Slytherin robes--no, brighter. Gryffindor robes swaying, a hand placed on the doorframe. Sage Potter. Immediately her smile faded upon seeing him, and she forced herself not to sneer. She had come into the compartment for a reason, but the reason faded from her thoughts and she found that she couldn't remember why she was standing in Draco Malfoy's doorframe. Draco sat up straight with interest, his eyes scanning her for reasons as to what she was doing in his compartment, and even he found none. The two of them rattled their brains for an explanation.

"And what are you doing here?" He eventually scowled, "Shouldn't you be with the weasels?" He thought of Crabbe and Goyle, wishing they were here instead of chasing down the trolley for more candy. I should get new friends, he thought. Nah, we know how that turned out.

Sage pursed her lips, staring at her enemy with eyes that burned with hatred. She was opening her mouth to answer him when she felt a chill, and noticed Malfoy's visible breath. "Does it...feel cold in here to you?" she asked, her eyes skipping around the compartment.

Draco made a face of disgust, about to retort that if she didn't like it she could leave, when the train suddenly jerked to a stop. Sage tumbled into the compartment, the door slamming harshly behind her. For a split second she worried that she broke her wand, fumbling for it and relaxing when she found it still safe inside her robes.

"Ow," she moaned from the floor, the lights flickering above her as she tried to stand.

Rolling his eyes, Draco offered her a pale hand. "Watch your step, Potter. And stop making the lights flicker."

Sage grit her teeth but took his cold hand firmly and stood up, brushing herself off. "I'm not," she replied sassily, annoyed at his ignorance.

The sound of rain made Sage's heartbeat go back to normal, calming her. Draco watched her, seemingly weary. The last light went out and their heads snapped up to look at the bulb. Now drenched in darkness and dread, the compartment seemed small and suffocating, the silence making Sage uneasy. She shifted from foot to foot, making eye contact with Malfoy's grey eyes.

"Scared, Potter?" Draco asked finally, a nervous laugh escaping him. Sage frowned, puzzled. She did feel scared, she felt cold and dreadful. Coming to a sudden realization, Sage sucked in a breath. Her godfather had talked about this feeling before. "Dementors."

Draco's eyes widened. "What d'you mean, "dementors?" Dementors on the train? Right now?"

Sage nodded, taking out her wand made of dragon heartstring and rosewood. What were dementors doing out of Azkaban? she wondered, her hand shaking slightly.

Seeing Sage's outline move, Draco mocked, "Oh, and what are you going to do? Poke it with your Nimbus two-thousand?" Sage shushed him, holding a hand out to make him stop talking.