☙ 01 | herbert

[unedited]

        VISITING THE VINEYARD was like returning back home. The place has always been home, where I left a piece of myself with. It was not that living with gran for the past five years was not as welcoming, not as warm or not as lovely, but the vineyard was where the heart felt safe.

         Maybe it was because the vineyard was the place where I spent my childhood running through the woods with the fresh grass cold beneath my feet, and sneaking out to climb the trees at night, thinking that I could reach for the stars. Maybe it was just those memories that I have missed so much.

        Looking out of the car's window, I placed my finger on the glass and traced along the lines where the greens of the mountains and the hills softly meet the shades of blue of the sky. When my fingers started to land on a familiar piece of land where the rows of grapevines replaced the smooth plains and hills, a smile stretched across my face and I hurriedly gather the thin blanket gran told me to put across my lap, to keep me warm during the ride, back into my handbag.

        "We're nearly there," I told Ruth, who was in the driver's seat, barely able to contain my excitement.

        "Yes, Val," she replied and glanced at me in the rearview mirror with a smile. "We'll be at the entrance in five minutes" - she chuckled - "I've never seen you more excited."

        "Thank you so much for driving me today," I told her, meeting her eyes in the rearview mirror. "Please tell gran I already miss her, and please take care of her well."

        "That's already my job, isn't it?" She said teasingly as I smiled back at her. Ruth has been gran's carer for eight years and after I have arrived five years ago, she was automatically given two new jobs: my aunt and my friend. I knew that it was extremely hard taking care of gran and I at the same time, as well as doing all the house chores and cooking us meals, but she had once told me that we were like her family, and grandma hiring her was the best thing that happened to her.

        When I saw the wooden gate, I released the breath I didn't even know I was holding in. The entrance of the vineyard mimicked the one in my memory. Next to the gate, which was left open, was a wooden sign that hung at the side, supported by two poles of the same material. The name of the place, 'Herbert Vineyard,' was carved into the wood, and beneath it said 'Grapes, Wines and Lodge.'

        The road from the gate was paved with concrete, which has changed from the previously gravelled path. Apart from that, I could barely spot any other changes except that the trees lining the side of the road has definitely grown. We first passed the reception house that was situated to the right side of the road, and I have noticed a few cars and golf carts lining up in the car park.

        I recalled that some people preferred visiting the vineyard just before the high season in the summer: some to check out the place and decide whether or not host their next event here, some for their quieter holiday. The main house was a two minutes drive after that. It was where I would be staying, with dad, and Kim, the maid dad had told me many things about.

        Ruth parked the car right in front of the main house, turning off the engine before she got out of the driver's side and walked to the boot to retrieve my luggage.  I followed behind her to help her lift my luggage out and was suddenly greeted with a rush of fresh air that blew my hair in all different directions. After struggling to lift the luggage out, we finally managed to slowly and simultaneously place my luggage on the concrete floor with a huge thud.