October 10, 1965

October 10, 1965

The Black Beacon storm was considered by the U.S. department of inclement weather to be the region's most destructive meteorological event of the second half of the twentieth century. It lingered through six high-tides and inundated the islands with punishing winds and extreme high waters. On Arcadia, powerful surges broke the arcade boardwalk and demolished the village bandstand and casino.

---

Scout master's log. October tenth. Reconstruction continues increasingly ahead of schedule, which I attribute to a particularly robust esprit de corps among the troop. The latrine, however, does continue to present—

---

     "Excuse me, sir?" Sterling interrupts Scout Master Sinclair's log.

     "You got that new recruit?" Scout Master Sinclair asks, covering the microphone.

     "Yes, sir."

     "What's his rank?"

     "He doesn't have one."

     "Pigeon scout. Let's get him a patch."

---

The coastal areas of Ark were battered and changed forever. Mile 3.25 Tidal Limit was erased from the map. But harvest yields the following autumn far exceeded any previously recorded, and the quality of the crops was said to be extraordinary.

---

     At Summer's End, Clarke is reading while the record player plays in the background. Bellamy sits at an easel across the room, painting quietly. He is now wearing a uniform labeled 'Island Police'.

     "Clarke! Dinner!" Mrs. Griffin calls from downstairs.

     "Don't make us ask twice!" Mr. Griffin calls after her.

     Clarke sets her book down and Bellamy leaves his easel, heading over to the window. He opens it, and slides out. Clarke crouches down, looking out the window, and Bellamy pops up, at eye level with her. He grins at her.

     "See you tomorrow," he says, and then darts away from the house to the police cruiser waiting at the gate. Clarke watches him go through the binoculars, and sees Captain Kane waiting in the driver's seat. Bellamy stops and looks at Clarke. Clarke lowers her binoculars, blowing him a kiss goodbye. Bellamy nods, and then gets into the car with Captain Kane.

     Clarke leaves the window, briefly glancing at the painting Bellamy had done before leaving: their campsite at Mile 3.25 Tidal Limit. On the shore of the painting, in seashells, are the words:

DROPSHIP BEACH