Chapter 2: Peeta

Peeta turns his head to mine.

"I love you too, Katniss," he says.

I smile. His words comfort me.

"You can go finish eating," I say.

"It's okay. I just want you to be happy," he replies.

"You've already made me happy. I haven't been happy in a long time and just in this little time we have had together you've made me happy. So you can finish eating now," I say looking down at my hands.

Suddenly I feel his warm arms wrap around me. I never want him to let go, but he does.

"Bye Katniss."

"Bye Peeta," I say as he closes the door.

I flip back onto my bed and close my eyes.

How could I win? All of these tributes have already won games. They didn't win like Peeta and I. They were alone. They killed more people and they have been living in victory for years. I couldn't win. Especially without Peeta. If I didn't tell Haymitch to volunteer for Peeta he probably wouldn't. I wish Peeta was in the games with me even though I don't want him to die.

I lay on my bed and think about how I'm going to die and how I love Peeta. All I want is no games and to live happily with Peeta even though that would never happen.
• • •
It is late now and I have not moved from my bed. I wasn't hungry and I'm still not. I was feeling thirsty though. I get up and my head feels dizzy after laying for so long. I walk out and grab a cup of water. I slowly sip it and look around the room. I try to ignore the avoxes.

"Katniss?" I hear.

I look around and I see Haymitch standing in the hallway.

"Oh hi Haymitch," I say.

"Why didn't you eat with us? Peeta said you weren't feeling well," he says.

Thank god for Peeta.

"Yeah I was just feeling sick," I say.

"Listen Katniss," he says coming closer to me, "you wanted me to volunteer for Peeta but you're acting like you're angry at me. Like you wanted him to be in the games."

"No Haymitch, it's not that. I don't want him to die but I just don't know how I will fight without him," I say.

I push past Haymitch and head back to my room.

"Are you angry?" he says sipping a cup of alcohol.

"No just tired," I say.

I didn't want to talk to Haymitch. I didn't want to talk to anyone except Peeta and Prim.

I immediately lay my head on my pillow and try to sleep. Luckily, I fall asleep quickly and I have something I haven't had in a while.

A happy dream with Peeta. Not a nightmare.

Hey everyone I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you for your sweet comments and viewing this! Please comment some feedback and thoughts and I will update it soon! 💗