42. Away from Him

"You are a traitor."

Harry's words ripped through my heart like a warrior's bullet. How could he say such a thing to me? Worse yet, how could he believe such a thing?

Louis dragged me away quickly before things escalated, and by the time we reached the village, I was a blithering mess, tears streaming like rivers down my face.

"Listen, Wren," Louis said calmly. "You know he's not in his right mind just now. Maybe it would be better if you went away - not forever - but just for a little while. Harry needs time to collect himself."

"Where?" I sobbed.

"Back to the ship. Zayn is going back this afternoon to retrieve some weapons and other supplies. Stay there until I send for you, when Harry has his senses back."

I trusted Louis; it wasn't even an option not to trust him - he loved Harry like a brother, and he loved me as well. I just hoped that Harry hadn't turned on me for good. Louis walked me back to the hut, where I gathered a few essential things before going out to meet Zayn and the others at the boat. 

Just before arriving at the shore, I had an idea. I turned to Louis and gasped, "Wait!"

"What is it, Wren?" Louis asked.

"What if I go and get Harry's gold back from the Vengeance?" I said, excitement rippling through my voice. 

The look on Louis' face told me that he wasn't fond of my proposal. "Wren," he began carefully. "You don't know what you're talking about. How could you possibly do that alone?"

"I wouldn't be alone," I said, shaking my head. "You would give the order. Harry's not in his right mind - you said it yourself - so you can give the order to attack the other ship."

Louis did his best not to laugh, but I knew he thought my idea was absurd. I refused to back down, not now when there was so much at stake. "Louis, think about it," I pleaded. "We attack the ship, retrieve his fortune, and either take prisoners or coerce them into fighting for Harry in Elinshire. Perhaps a bribe, offering some of Harry's wealth?"

He regarded me carefully, and as far as I could tell, he was considering whether there was any merit to my plan. Either that, or he was planning to have me confined to the captain's quarters so that I couldn't cause any trouble. It was a long while before he spoke; so long in fact that Zayn began shouting from the rowboat for him to send me immediately. 

Louis startled me when he turned and shouted back to Zayn, "Just wait, you idiot! I've got an idea."

I raised my eyebrows at Louis, wondering if his idea was actually my idea, but I held my tongue while he beckoned Zayn to return to shore. Louis waded into the water to greet him, and after they had shared hushed thoughts with one another, Zayn simply nodded and said, "Let's go, Wren."

I shot a questioning look at Louis, but he didn't budge. He just smiled and waved as Zayn picked me up and carried me to the rowboat. I cried out in desperation to Louis as we got further away and closer to the boat, "Are you sure this will work? What if Harry-"

Louis interrupted, knowing what I was going to ask. "Harry will come around, I assure you."

Zayn dropped me into the boat, hoisted himself in and, with the help of another crew member, began rowing out to sea. I was tempted to ask him what he was planning, but I wanted to wait until he was alone. So I sat and watched Elinshire fade into the distance, my heart slowly sinking into the murky depths surrounding us. 

Being back aboard the Rebellion comforted me somehow. What used to be my prison was now my haven. The smell of the ocean, the familiar lapping of the waves at the ship's hull, the seagulls squawking - it was a song of consolation. I dashed to Harry's cabin, eager to be enveloped in the familiar sanctuary in which I'd fallen in love with him.

I opened the door and it all came rushing back. Harry's scent lingered there and I took a deep breath, filling my lungs. I turned and lowered the latch, craving solitude. I started a small fire; even though it was warm and humid out on deck, the dampness of the wooden chamber held a chill. And then I laid down in his bed - our bed - the place where Harry had taught me things I never wanted to share with another man. I undressed completely, tugged the blankets around me and pushed my face into Harry's pillow, letting him soothe me.

Sunset was approaching when I lit a lamp and went out to find something to eat. Louis and Abigail's absence was tangible as I crept into the galley. Fortunately, much of the fruit was still fresh, and we had brought a replenishing supply earlier in the day, along with several loaves of Tansy's bread. I found some dried fish and ate until my stomach stopped grumbling. 

Before the last bit of bread had settled into my stomach, I was off to find Zayn. I found him conferring with Liam on the bridge of the ship. Exciting memories flashed through my mind, of the time that I seduced Harry while he stood at the helm, making him quiver with desire. I shook off my reverie and asked, point blank, "What's the plan?" 

Both Liam and Zayn turned to me slowly, regarding me as if I had grown an extra arm. "I beg your pardon," Liam said.

"I want to know what we're going to do. We can't waste any time. Harry needs reinforcements and we have to help him." My tone was somewhat forceful as I spoke.

"Wren, with all due respect, we do have a plan, but you're not going into battle," Liam said.

Zayn responded quickly to Liam's words, saying, "Well, it's not exactly battle. We have different orders."

"What?" I cried. "No, we have to help Harry! You're his crew, and he's been nothing but loyal to you, and he needs us now and-"

"Wren!" Zayn laughed, placing his hands firmly on my shoulders. "We are going to help Harry. Just not exactly in the way you proposed, all right?"

"How then?" I asked, becoming impatient. "Harry taught me to fight, and I know I'm good. You have to let me-"

Zayn interrupted again. "You are not fighting and that's the end of it! Now go to sleep and I promise that we will inform you of everything in the morning. You need rest."

I reluctantly agreed and made my way back to the cabin. Just before entering, I stood at the railing of the ship and looked out over the water, towards Elinshire. The moon was chasing the sun across the sky, beginning to show it's reflection over the tranquility of the sea. "Be safe, Harry," I whispered to the wind. "I'm not giving up on you." 

____________

1) 115K reads - phenomenal - thank you all!

2) Wow, some of you were brutal towards Harry after the last chapter! If you think about it, you'll realize that you don't want perfect characters, right? Everyone has flaws and Harry's no different. When Wren first met him, he was a harsh, insensitive clod, but she softened him. Of course, she didn't change him completely, and he's certainly under some heavy duress right now, so take it easy with the death wishes, all right? lol

FINALLY, this is a double update, so the next chapter will be posted in a few minutes.