Chapter 12

Alex spat out a mouthful of sea water as they were swept through the doors into the final room.

It was the second biggest one they had seen so far. It was slightly smaller than the room the prawns challenge had taken place in and it was hexagonal, with six walls surrounding them. The floor was made of some kind of super-absorbative. As soon as the doors had closed behind them, the water started soaking into it and was all gone in a few seconds. As the water drained away, the floor was revealed. Alex saw it was covered in blue, green and grey hexagons, fitting together like jigsaw pieces. Three sets of giant chess pieces, in black, white and grey, stood on three of the rooms six sides, with the empty sides between them.

"Your highness," said Captain Zachary, scrambling up with water dripping from his uniform. "Are you...?"

"I'm fine," said Alex, standing up.

"OK. You were right," said Ellen, looking at the wall screens, which were all blank. "She is definitely trying to kill us."

"I know," said Captain Zachary. He lowered his voice "She's obviously mentally unstable. This is getting too dangerous. We need a new plan. I know we need the notebook, but if we can't get out of here alive with it..."

He stopped as the matter transmitter laser flashed in front of them. Several pairs of boots appeared on the hexagonal squares. As the laser moved upwards, it reassembled Lord Blackstar, Will and Darla and the Sirians.

"Oh, Seven Sisters," said Ellen, reaching for her sword again.

"Your highness! Princesses!" said Lord Blackstar. "Thank goodness! You made it!"

"What happened to you?" said Darla, raising her eyebrow at their soaked clothes.

"Prawns. I don't want to talk about it," said Ellen.

"Don't you mean pawns?"

"No. I know exactly what I mean."

"Are you all right, Captain?" said Alice to Mendoza, looking at the Sirian team's bandages.

"No, we're absolutely fine," said Mendoza, quickly hiding his most bandaged arm behind his back. "Nothing happened at all. It's irrelevant."

"Yes. All that matters is that you're safe, your highnesses," said Lord Blackstar. "Captain Zachary. For the last time, I am ordering you to..."

"You do not have the authority to," said Captain Zachary. He and Alex and Will and Ellen and Lord Blackstar reached for their swords again.

"Gentle Kali. It was a mistake to send you all through separately," said Chata, as she appeared on the wall screens. "I should have just sent you in one group and let you dispose of each other."

"Yes. That might have been easier than the way you've been trying to do it," said Alice, looking up at her. Alex could see the concern in his sister's eyes. But he could tell it was concern for Chata far more than it was for them.

"Oh, she has, has she?" said Lord Blackstar. "I was starting to suspect that. Some of these broken systems and malfunctions have been a little bit too conveniently dangerous, computer. But in the meantime, why is Mendoza still here? I thought you said they hadn't won a single game against you."

"And they certainly didn't against me," said Darla.

"You're not getting rid of us that easily, Pleiadean," said Mendoza. "Our noble purpose will never..."

"No, but they have made a literally explosive effort," said Chata. "I think it's only fair I let them have a chance at the final game."

"Oh. Well, Gracias, señorita," said Mendoza. "Perhaps your honour programing is not as decayed as the rest of your systems."