Chapter XXVI

The Romans chuckle softly but it means nothing --Dalla has only been grazed and will suddenly sit up and say, “It’s only a scratch”. Her lips will quirk up in their usual smirk while her eyes will send out the death glare that she is so well known for. 

But she does not stir.

“Dalla!” I yell. “DALLA!”

I scramble to my feet and burst through the bushes into the clearing, my breath coming out in searing gasps. Dalla has only fallen from the shock. All I have to do is pull her up and she will realize that she is all right.

But as my feet break into a sprint, I am grabbed around the chest and held back.

“There’s nothing you can do, Maeve,” Garrick whispers in my ear just as Brogan steps in between us and the Romans. 

“Get her! Save her! She hasn’t lost too much blood yet!” I pull against his grip.

“It’s too late, Maeve.”

“We can still save her!” I struggle hard and viciously, but Garrick’s grasp is strong and he will not let go.

“There is nothing you can do, Maeve. She’s gone.” Garrick’s voice cracks as he speaks but he does not loosen his hold. 

Even though Brogan is greatly outnumbered, he meets the Romans in battle above Dalla’s body. He is careful to step around the body on the ground, but the Romans trample over it like it is not even there. My body aches to run forward and save Dalla from the Roman’s brutal heels. But Garrick does not let me take a single step. 

Brogan slowly dispatches the Romans one by one. Two fall to the ground but when the third realizes that his time is up, he does not attempt to even put up a fight. He drops his weapon and clammers away towards the forest, blood dripping from his arm. 

Brogan growls and takes a step towards the Roman, a menacing sneer curling his lips. 

Garrick lets go of me and jumps into his friend’s path. 

“Stop,” he orders. 

Brogan eyes fill with fury and, for a moment, I fear he will cut Garrick down where he stands. But Brogan does not move. His sword brandished, his eyes flaming with anger, he does not move. 

“We can’t go back.” Garrick’s voice is steady, soothing. “Immediate vengeance will not bring Dalla back. The time for justice will come but not now. We have to protect those in our care.”

Garrick leans in and whispers something in Brogan’s ear. For a moment, the Brigantes warrior does not move. He is as still and imposing as a statue. His eyes suddenly dart to us. His eyes are red with unshed tears and his chest heaves with uncontrolled gasps of breath. 

His sword lowers and his gaze softens.

Garrick’s tense stance slowly deflates and he sends me a wary glance.