Bittersweet Midnight

Word Count: 600

The room around you was dark.

You were sitting in a wooden chair. Nylon ropes bound you to it, wrapping around your wrists and ankles. There was a table directly in front of you. As your gaze shifted upward, you noticed a gun laying on the table. But that wasn't the only thing you saw. Your boyfriend sat in another wooden chair across from you, unconscious. Oh my God. "Jack." You called, hoping to wake him up. You could faintly see a gash on his forehead, surrounded by his bruising skin. "Jack." You said, a little bit louder.

His head moved slowly side to side, before he looked up at you. He squinted as his eyes adjusted to the darkness. "(y/n)." He frantically tried to stand up. He looked down at his restraints. That was when you noticed one of his hands was not tied to the chair. Jack picked up his hand, his eyebrows furrowed, but you knew why it was free. 

You both heard a strange, loud voice. "You have three minutes to decide."

Jack looked back up at you, and you nodded to the table. Jack's eyes grew wide when he saw the gun. "No. NO. I won't do it!" He told you as tears welled up in his eyes. He covered his face with his hand. You looked around the room, not able to see much than what was close around you. As you glanced upward, all of the blood drained from your face. Jack's eyes followed your gaze. 

"What the fuck?!" He yelled. Far above both of your heads hung large saw blades. The strange voice spoke again. "One minute." The saw blades starting spinning loudly. Jack quickly reached for the gun, and you winced, squeezing your eyes shut. You opened them a moment later to see him with the barrel pointed at his temple, eyes shut and teeth gritted. "NO! DON'T!" You screamed over the noise of the now lowering blades. "PLEASE. SHOOT ME, JACK!" You pleaded, sobbing. His facial features relaxed as he opened his eyes and smiled at you. "I love you," His smile became sad. "Don't forget that." Jack pulled the trigger. You screamed, repeatedly calling for Jack, but he didn't answer. 

"Baby, baby, shhh." You felt a pair of arms wrap around you as you continued to scream. "No, no, no, no." You cried. Fingers slowly ran through your hair, and you hear quiet shushing. "It's okay, (y/n). You're alright. Look at me, look at me." When you felt movement, you realized you were in your bed. You finally opened your eyes to see Jack propped up on his elbow, his other hand stroking your cheek. He had tears in his eyes as well. You took deep breaths and took in your surroundings. You were at home, in your room, with Jack. It was pitch black outside your window, it must have been late. 

You slowly pulled Jack towards you, and he gladly hugged your body close to his. "You were screaming." He mumbled, combing his fingers through your hair. You nodded silently. "Just a nightmare." You told him. Jack tried to cheer you up a little. "That wasn't really how I imagined you screaming my name." He said halfheartedly. He didn't expect it to work, but it did. You lightly giggled. 

"But in all seriousness," Jack gazed into your eyes. "Are you alright?" You took a deep breath in order to calm yourself, hugging Jack tighter. "I'm okay now." He gave you a kiss on the forehead before saying, "I love you, (y/n)."