Captured Heart

Two months later and summer was almost over. As everyone had gone on trips or played in the pool, I stayed in bed all day, waiting for something good to happen. The only thing that I had done was go over to Dad's house, but then ended with Dina and I yelling at each other. If Alice or Alex were involved, then they would have gotten yelled at by me. When the last day came, Mom finally dragged me out of my room and sat me on the couch.

" Do something," she said.

" Do what?" I said as I rubbed my eyes. " There's nothing to do on the last day."

" Sure, there's a ton of things to do. Didn't Alice and Alex go out with their friends?"

" Yeah, but they didn't invite me," I muttered. They never invited me when their friends asked them to hang out. When they were at the house, they kicked me out of their room. Honestly, I felt like a little kid.

" You'll have your own friends. What about Philip? I thought you two would hang out this summer?"

" He went to a beach house with his family for the summer," I replied.

" Charlotte? Sakura? Noah?"

" Found new friends."

Mom sighed as she put her hands on her hips. " Mia, I can't entertain you all the time? How about you play with Samuel? He needs a buddy."

" Go find Amelia," I replied bitterly. " She would surly play with him."

" I don't need your attitude."

" Then don't talk to me."

When Dad left, it seemed like Mom had given up at some point. She stared to look like that after Samuel had turned three.

She sighed, as she handed me the remote," Do what you want. I'll be heading out with Samuel to get some take out. Would you be willing to go out for that?"

I shook my head as I turned on the TV, " Wake me up when I have to go back to school. Then, I would leave the house."

That's how it was for the next couple of hours.

~

Mom dropped me off to school the next day. At the front of the school, I found Philip talking to a boy, who was the same age as us. I then felt a burning sensation in my stomach. Was he gonna hang out with this kid and leave me in the dust? I frowned. I hadn't known him that long...Who knows he might do something similar to Charlotte.

Once he noticed me, Philip waved.

" Mia, over here!"

When I walked over, the boy examined my appearance before Philip introduced me.

" That's Mia. The girl I was telling you about."

" I see. She's...gloomier than what you told me."

" This is Justin Ackerman,"Philip said. " We had stared playing soccer over the summer."

" Nice to meet you Justin. So, you play soccer as well?"

He nodded.

" He's experienced," Philip told me. " I couldn't even take the ball away from him in the first game."

" Sounds...exciting," I muttered. " We have to go inside before the bell rings. We don't want to be late on the first day."

~