The Decision

The first thing Maxie did when she returned to her hotel room the night before was do as Nathan asked. She called Liesl Obrecht and relayed the news of his impending marriage to a woman who wasn't Maxie. And because she couldn't help herself, she told her the entire story of the wedding, reception and murder. Liesl listened to the story, muttering curses in German when Maxie paused for breath. She asked for Chelsea's address and ended the call quickly, telling Maxie not to worry and that she was on her way.

It gave Maxie an enormous sense of relief to know that Liesl Obrecht was coming. Yes, she was a criminal with a questionable code but Nathan obviously wanted her there instead of Madeline for his own reasons. But having someone here who was on their side made the situation seem just a tad less bleak.

She was dressed and picking at her room service breakfast when Nathan's friend, Josh, knocked on her door. As limited as her interaction had been with him, Maxie found him to be likable and down to earth. It helped that Nathan seemed to trust him completely. She opened the door to him, stepping aside for him to enter the room. He offered her a crooked smile that she found endearing. Considering how stern his partner had looked, she bet he was the good cop in most situations.

"Thanks for coming Detective Conrad," Maxie said closing the door behind him. "I hope it won't get you in any kind of trouble."

"Well, as long as no one at the precinct knows I'm here, we should be fine. And call me Josh." Maxie nodded, feeling at a loss suddenly. What was she thinking asking him here? He was a cop and wasn't going to share anything with her. He barely knew her. Just because she dated a friend of his didn't make them instant friends.

"So, you wanted to talk to me?" Josh prompted.

"Yes!" She snapped out of her brief moment of doubt, lifting her chin. "Yes, I did. Look, I know you're a cop and there are rules but I don't know what else to do. Nathan left last night and I found out he's marrying his ex-girlfriend. The same woman who told your partner she heard me arguing with Scott. Something is going on and Nathan won't tell me what. Do you know what is going on?"

"I know a little." He motioned to a chair. "I just had coffee with him. Look, I'm not going to defend his decision to marry Chelsea. But I can tell you, Maxie, he wouldn't do it without a very good reason."

"Which would be?"

He shook his head. "I don't know exactly. But if I had to guess I'd say it was you."

That surprised her. "Me?"

"According to Nathan, Chelsea knows enough about whoever killed Scott to give very good details. So either she saw the whole thing or saw enough to know who did it."

"Or she did it herself," Maxie added. "Because I certainly didn't do it."

"The thing is, Maxie, you don't know Chelsea very well. She's spoiled and vindictive. If she thinks she's been wronged, she'll go all out to get even."

Maxie nodded in understanding. She knew the type. "So what did I do to her?"

"That's just it. You didn't do anything. But Nathan did. He dumped her when he finally figured out what a piece of work she was and left without a word. He shows up here with a beautiful new girlfriend? To Chelsea, it means war. You're collateral damage."

"But Nathan is marrying her," Maxie argued. "That doesn't makes sense. If she wanted to hurt him, why make up things about me?."

"It does make sense if you think about the why of it. Look, from what he's told me and what I've seen, Nathan is crazy in love with you. Which makes you valuable to him. Chelsea wants to hurt him so she goes after you," he said in a leading tone. That was when it clicked for her.

"She threatened me and that's why he's marrying her? To keep her from doing something to me? Like what?"

Josh raised his eyebrows at her, waiting for her to put it together herself. Maxie stared back at him turning it over in her head. Chelsea knew more about the murder and she was the one who put Maxie with Scott near the time of his death. That was her threat. She was using her information to keep Nathan with her and Maxie in constant danger of being arrested.

"Why does he always have to be so noble?!" Maxie exclaimed making Josh laugh. "He does stuff like this all the time you know."

"I know." Josh grinned.

Maxie jumped to her feet and began pacing the room. "Well, I won't let him marry her just to save my skin. I didn't do it and I have a very good lawyer. I just need to think of how to get him out of her clutches."

"Nathan seems to think he can handle it on his own, Maxie."

"Well, he's wrong." She whirled around and folded her arms over herself. "I know Chelsea's kind. Nathan is in over his head."

"And you're out of your element," Josh pointed out. "This isn't Port Charles society."

"I know how to deal with these people. I worked for Kate Howard at Crimson and came across the worst kind of debutantes and celebrities imaginable. I can hold my own."

Maxie's brain kicked into high gear as she started planning. What would it take to get rid of Chelsea? The obvious answer was to find out exactly what she knew and what she had seen. But that would be impossible unless she confided it to someone else and Maxie didn't think that was likely. Instead, the next option was to find out who really killed Scott Chambers. If the police were focusing on her, than they probably weren't looking too hard for other suspects.

A thought occurred to her suddenly. Was Nathan staying with Chelsea to protect Maxie and to figure out who killed Scott? Of course he was. It made sense. After all, he probably considered all the possibilities before agreeing to marry Chelsea. If he thought he could keep Maxie safe and clear her at the same time, he would do it. And he had said more than once to trust him, which she did.

She turned to Josh. "I'm not going to let that wedding take place. I know you're a cop and you may even think I had something to do with it. But I didn't kill Scott. Nathan knows it and so does Chelsea. I'll do whatever I need to prove I'm innocent."

"I believe you, Maxie."

"You do?"

"Of course. Nathan believes you in your innocence and that's enough for me. Whatever you need," Josh added getting to his feet and offering his hand. "I'm in."

Maxie grinned and accepted his handshake, feeling positive for the first time in the last 24 hours. "Nathan has saved me more than once. It's my turn to save him."