Breaking Free

The task, and honor, given to Cassiel by his Lady was done.

Safely, and with much haste, he brought her father, Connal, to the tribe in the Forbidden Forest where the shamans could tend to his wounds, thus saving his life. Connal’s condition had worsened by the time they reached the forest, but Ma’ad, the tribe’s shaman, assured Cassiel that Olivia’s father would be fine and the tribe accepted the wounded man as if one of their own.

The dark-skinned knight rested for a day, making up for the lost sleep, but didn’t linger longer than necessary. Once sure Olivia’s father was in good hands and on the way to recovery, Cassiel bid them farewell.

Wanting to gather whatever information he could find about Prince Magnus and his evil plans, he took a different route back, a few days longer. Cassiel traveled towards the east, passing through smaller settlements and the news reaching him weren’t a surprise. A whole village had had to disperse because of prince’s bad temper. He was pleased, though, when he heard that Damien and Theo had stood up to Magnus and left his company.

The unrest following the prince was cause for concern; if Magnus wasn’t careful, the people might do more than just disparage him. They would rebel.

Cassiel heard about a market day in a nearby village, taking place the following day. He reached it when the streets were most crowded, and subtly asked around for any information about the prince or the witch.

While walking to the bazaar, Cassiel pushed his way through the throng of people. He looked up just as a small figure bounced off his armored chest. Before he could react, she was pushed back into him, so he grabbed her shoulders to steady her and prevent her from being tossed about.

“I apologize,” she stuttered in fear.

“No apologies needed, my lady. I wasn’t mindful of my steps,” Cassiel said in return.

When the girl looked up at the sound of his voice, the knight’s breath caught. She seemed very young, barely a woman. Her heart shaped face radiated softness, especially with those full cheeks, rosy in color. Cassiel drank in her features just as she studied his. Her dark, almond shaped eyes were warm but haunted in their depths. Never should anyone so young look so despaired. She reminded him of his Lady Olivia and the urge to protect surged through his body. He was surprised by his own emotions and when her moist tongue darted out, running over her luscious lower lip, Cassiel knew he had to break the spell. He wanted to taste her lips, the desire so strong yet very immoral. His own feelings for the young girl confused him, unguarded him. He remembered his father’s words about the moment when he had first laid his eyes on Cassiel’s mother. Love at first sight did exist but Cassiel never believed he would experience it himself, especially…

“Did I hurt you?” Cassiel asked, fighting the need to brush some of the honey colored hair away from her face, so he could see more of her.

Delilah opened her mouth to respond but a piercing female voice distracted her. She glanced over his shoulder and her eyes widened in panic and a shiver wracked her body.

Cassiel laid his palm gently on her cheek and turned her attention back to him. The anxiety in her eyes worried him. Is she in trouble?

“Who is that?” he asked in a whisper.

Her breath fanned his face when she let out a tired, resigned sigh. “My mother…”

Cassiel was perplexed that a mother would cause such a reaction in her daughter. The pleading look Delilah gave him caught Cassiel off guard as she leaned into his touch. She appeared lost and desperate. Did she fear her own mother?